BMW independent, Clutch replacement cost R1100

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
HoboBeemer

BMW independent, Clutch replacement cost R1100

Post by HoboBeemer »

I am a cautious chap and having been out for a bimble over the weekend my bike rolled over the 50k mile mark..

I am in a position where I think it would be ideal to get the clutch changed if nothing else to lube splines, change the OEM clutch actuator arm and a few other odds and sods, it makes little sense to open it up just for a look.

The bike is well serviced and I have done almost all precaution work to it such as new Hall sensor, Braided lines, rear drive rebuild, cam chain tensioner etc etc you get the idea, the bike is ridden as intended has some marks but I really really like it...

I am wondering if anyone has any links to independents and ruffly what the cost is?, happy to travel if it can be done in a 24h period and catch a hotel.
If it was any other bike I would just drop at dealer and be done, but with BMW servicing prices and the fact I may well have to give the bike up sometime in 2021 due to being peeing distance inside the ULEZ on the London Essex border expansion I cannot justify the rates and passing on a BM without knowing the clutch situation would not sit well with me, Karma and all that.

I could do the job myself but the last few years my lower back has really given me issues whenever I am hunched over for periods and as it is a 6-8 hour job I cannot afford the week worth of recovery needed at the end of it.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Tonibe63

Re: BMW independent, Clutch replacement cost R1100

Post by Tonibe63 »

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

Tonibe63 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:50 pm If it ain't broke don't fix it.

indeed I love that sentiment but I have a few things going against me, one is that I have never done a spline Lube or inspection. Which in part is the same strip down minus a few odds and sods as doing the clutch pack at the same time, it makes sense to just do the whole lot whilst it is apart, clutches last anywhere from 35K-75K with some getting around 100k, that is all well and good but with my luck if I leave it and the clutch goes whilst in the middle of a mountain road in the back end of wherethehellarestan during winter of course surrounded by ghosts you get the idea.

Second is that I may head off again on another bigger trip plus I do not shy away from off roading, and if that happens see the Ghost I mentioned above ref the clutch going pop.

Third is if I ever sell it and wanting to be able to give details to a new buyer ref spline condition and clutch life situation, granted it is buyer beware but I try to avoid bad JooJoo if I can and this approach has served me well thus far. Adding a few receipts to the mountain I already have seems a fair contribution for piece of mind..
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I do understand the prevention attitude but I've got 2007 1200gs with nearly 60k miles on it which I bought 11 years ago. Before all our trips I got caught up in the doom and gloom about final drives/FPC's/swing arm breaking/forks breaking/clutch failure etc etc but decided "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and so far it's all original. I could have had lots of things changed 'just incase' but it wouldn't guarantee not breaking down.
Reality is that mine's not worth a round of drinks, new clutch or not.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I faced that same scenario on my K100RT which came with 36,000 miles

In the end I decided to leave all be and wait. Eventually I got a tell tale drip of a rear main seal failing. I left it until early he following year when I felt I would not want oil on the clutch plate in France in the summer. Ordered up the parts and at 78,000 it went on the lift, with the first clutch slip as I drove it on. When the clutch came off.....there was nothing left on the plate. I got the very last bit of use out of everything and put in new seals, clutch etc etc etc.

Now I also have a K1100LT just under 99,000 miles and looking at taking to France in 2 weeks. My take is if ain't broke don't go at it but keep a good eye on it. The last 40,000 miles I put on it in 2 years so I know it well. My second take is if you do go in, do the lot.

Your mileage sounds rather low but as you say if you are going in to do a clutch spline lube it may make some sense if you buy your parts wisely.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

If you can drop the bike off with Big Al (organiser of West Wales ABR Rally) , he'll sort it out for you- comes highly recommended
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

PaulinBont wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:55 am If you can drop the bike off with Big Al (organiser of West Wales ABR Rally) , he'll sort it out for you- comes highly recommended

Thanks for that I have sent him a PM..
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

Well I thought I would give a bit of a update,

I contacted 4 different BMW independent places and not one got back to me with a quote and lead time. I guess BMW service must be a booming industry ???..

Decided to do it myself and wear a back brace as I really cannot be hunched over very long, built a decent rolling Gearbox and swing arm holder that I hope works as well in application as it does in my head?. Currently just waiting a few odds and sods before pulling tranny out and doing final inspection of seals etc before Motorworks takes my money..

I think the 6-7 hour job time would be about right if you are well versed and do not come into contact with any seized bolts etc, I estimate about 10 hours for my first attempt and that is with faffing about cleaning stuff and swapping a few other little bits along the way.

I will post up a SOS if anything goes pear shaped!!! :?
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

Good luck with the job - let's see some pictures

I know it's not the same bike but my 2005 Pan now has 115,000 miles on the clutch it left the factory with - at least you'll have peace of mind it you do check yours over.

Harv
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

Big al has been off the grid for a week setting up the west Wales rally he will get back to you though
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺

Return to “TECHNICAL”