h7 headlight bulbs?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Tramp

h7 headlight bulbs?

Post by Tramp »

Okay my xt660z headlight bulb went yesterday , ive fitted a spare car one but ...

Are the motorcycle vibration resistant ones from osram or philips any longer lasting...im not into superbright as i dont ride at night ....salisbury plain us rocky as hell at monent which wont help...

The bike ones are twice price of car ones ! See osram do a ultralife?

Opnions folks..
bill_qaz

Re: h7 headlight bulbs?

Post by bill_qaz »

Failure more likely when lit as filament is vibrated whilst glowing, always switch off when off sealed roads. I now always use led bulb as no night riding, like yourself, so only for people to see me, then save standard bulb for mot test :D
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

If a certain section of the market are prepared to pay a premium price for ' special' parts aimed specifically at that area of the marketplace , then those items will be made and sold. Whether they offer any advantages over the regular product is a moot point as cars also suffer from vibration and jolting over rough roads or potholes. Still it doesn't cost much to print packaging with an image of a bike on so...........
Sorry I'm a bit skeptical.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

My 2010 GSA goes through headlight bulbs quite frequently. Have started to use the 'heavy duty' version from Halfords & they do seem to last longer.
Oplo

Post by Oplo »

I agree LEDs are the way ahead. Not sure about filaments being more susceptible to breakage when hot. As a collision investigator I have seen these stretched almost straight when involved in an impact whilst illuminated and yes, they still work.
There's no doubt marketing experts will take advantage of what ever they can to extract a few more quid.
Is this skepticism catching Steve?
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

I use night eye led bulbs in my car my bike and my work van never had to change 1
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡บ
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Many years ago I fitted Osram brighter/whiter H4 bulbs to my Suzuki V-Strom, still working fine, but I fancy changing them again to brighter ones to be seen mainly during daytime riding as I hardly do any night time riding.

The Osram bulbs have been fitted at least 6/7yrs now, but I'm sure bulb technology has moved on etc...

Peter
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
paul_tim2000

Post by paul_tim2000 »

There is an argument that, if the fillament failure is due to vibration induced fracture, the metal will be more ductile, and less likely to break, when hot and therefore will fail less when running. Anyone ever worked in the industry able to comment?
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Teflon Jnr wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:23 pm I use night eye led bulbs in my car my bike and my work van never had to change 1

Do you find they provide better lighting on road than std halogens...or just brighter to oncomi g traffic,
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

Much better overall crisper edges and brighter passed mot test
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡บ

Return to โ€œTECHNICALโ€