Cameras in France

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
PHILinFRANCE

Re: Cameras in France

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Its no worse than the UK Tom , last time i was in the UK (ABR rally) it seemed to be the speed camera centre of the Univers !!! they are every where !!
The thing is its new ish for Brits traveling here to get the fine through the post so a tad alaming

That said ......"aller les gilets jaunes" :twisted:
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

TomBoyNI wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:30 am I am heading to France for my first visit in a fortnight and to be honest all this makes the place sound pretty grim :shock:
As has been said earlier the days of using France as your own personal race track are long gone, and they have embraced speed bumps (even on the Tour de France routes :o ) along with 30kph limits in towns, but just like the UK there's thousands of miles of open roads where there'll be no cameras to spoil your post holiday euphoria. But, if you're going to abuse the limits, just like in the UK, do it sensibly. And unlike the UK they do seem to enjoy seeing bikes on the road, and the weather is usually way better. And, even in Scotland there isn't a view like this:
Attachments
CdB.jpg
CdB.jpg (132.92 KiB) Viewed 5938 times
stramasher

Post by stramasher »

TomBoyNI wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:30 am I am heading to France for my first visit in a fortnight and to be honest all this makes the place sound pretty grim :shock:
Oop North John nails it mate. Its a bloody fantastic place to ride your bike. You will love it. I guarantee you will be planning your next one maybe even before you get back!

I would just urge caution in and around the ferry ports till you are out in the sticks and next to motorway services (where you can get cops with speed guns) Also watch out for speed limit reduction areas on said motorways for cameras/cops.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

That's quite wrong, Tom, and really not the impression I wanted to give when I kicked off this thread. France is still one of the best places to visit, to live, and certainly to ride a bike. I just wanted to warn those on ABR who ride over here, or might, that things are changing and you just have to more careful not to get a ticket. There are still thousands of kms of empty roads without monitoring, and you can almost always have a blast up in the hills without getting a fine.

It's not grim at all. And by comparison with S.E. UK 15 years ago (let alone now) it's a biker's paradise.

As for going off-road, it's still total freedom. Ride almost completely wherever you want, whenever you want without seeing a soul. No B.O.A.T.S. or Byeways or G.I.T.S. or W.A.N.K.E.R.S...

Enjoy your trip. :D
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

It appeared to me that the change in speed limit sign is only posted on your side of the road, not on both sides as in the UK.
This made it a little more difficult to spot when the speed limit changes (as it does, often). Because it's only on one side of the road it's easy to think it's a repeater sign and ignore it.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:44 am
That's quite wrong, Tom, and really not the impression I wanted to give when I kicked off this thread. France is still one of the best places to visit, to live, and certainly to ride a bike. I just wanted to warn those on ABR who ride over here, or might, that things are changing and you just have to more careful not to get a ticket. There are still thousands of kms of empty roads without monitoring, and you can almost always have a blast up in the hills without getting a fine.

It's not grim at all. And by comparison with S.E. UK 15 years ago (let alone now) it's a biker's paradise.

As for going off-road, it's still total freedom. Ride almost completely wherever you want, whenever you want without seeing a soul. No B.O.A.T.S. or Byeways or G.I.T.S. or W.A.N.K.E.R.S...

Cheers. That is definitely more comforting. 8-)
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

TomBoyNI wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:56 am
daveuprite wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:44 am

Cheers. That is definitely more comforting. 8-)
No probs. Remember, above all, that when you ride in France as a general rule you have the people on your side. French people like bikes, many either ride one or did, and they treat bikers properly. Pulling to one side to allow a bike to overtake or filter is pretty normal here. You sometimes get waves from people in small villages. Chambre D'hote (B&B) owners will often invite you to park in their garage (or hallway!). Off-road there is a culture that treats the chemins (greenlanes) as everybody's place to enjoy the country, so walkers, horse-riders, mountain-bikers and enduro-bike riders all share the trails without rivalry or enmity.

That doesn't mean you won't come across stupid tail-gate driving and a general inability to indicate on roundabouts. And you will still need to lock it up in cities. But I would be very surprised if you encounter any hostility just because you are on a bike.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:23 am
Meanwhile the french air force buzzes our place once a week at about 600mph.... :lol:
Who are they running away from this time? :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Crossrutted wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:50 am
daveuprite wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:23 am
Meanwhile the french air force buzzes our place once a week at about 600mph.... :lol:
Who are they running away from this time? :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Their shadows? :lol: :lol:
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

just got back from France and awaiting the usual paperwork, i got flashed one dead on 30kph and the satnav to back it up, stopped and took a time dated pic in case,

steve

Return to “TRAVEL”