Navmii

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
DavidS

Navmii

Post by DavidS »

Has anyone used Navmii as a free gps only (no data use) navigation system on an iphone?
Looks better than setting up Google Maps offline every few days.
Initially we are looking at Ontario and Quebec provinces for three weeks next month....by car, not bike.

Even if I do load it, there is still the Google back up.
Anyway, we mostly travel by map as nice diversions can be spotted and investigated, we just need it for navigating complex built up areas and finding our hotels.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
tuftywhite

Re: Navmii

Post by tuftywhite »

I've been using it for about 4 years.

I've bought other country maps. If I remember, you get UK and Ireland for free. I've invested in most of Europe and have used it in Germany, Switzerland, France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Belgium as well as day to day in the UK.

Maps are downloaded to your phone so you can use them abroad without needing data roaming.

Navmii is my default sat nav for entering a location and getting there, although sometimes it takes you off a main road and back on for no reason. You also have to remember if you set it to avoid motorways and forgotten that you've done that. :(

You may also like to have a look at Map.me. I've not used it as a sat nav yet, however, if you covert GPX files into google format you can load them into Maps.me and follow them. (it doesn't guide you but you can follow them on screen.)

Hope this helps.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Thanks for the info.
Most seem free now but some aren’t offline by the looks of their app site.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Ive been using OSMand, and im sure you get 5 free downloads. Used it in America this year (off line) and it worked just fine and its routable :D
Dansin

Post by Dansin »

Not tried that one but I have used Here WeGo for a few years. It lets you download individual country maps to use offline. I think it was originally developed by Nokia and then bought by BMW/Audi/Daimler. It’s free to download and the mapping is regularly updated.

Return to “TRAVEL”