Bike insurance for the USA no longer available

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Sgt Bilco

Bike insurance for the USA no longer available

Post by Sgt Bilco »

If any of you folks are thinking of a nice ride around the States or Canada this summer please be aware the insurance cover is no longer available for European bikes.

As some of you know, I organise trips across there and this news has come just as we are about to fly 9 bikes out to Anchorage so luckily nothing has gone yet.

The original and most popular provider, Dairyand, suddenly pulled the plug a few months ago and no one else has stepped up to the plate. There has been talk of Progressive doing it but I've received conformation today that they won't do it.

If anyone is planning a trip and has taken out insurance cover, please double check it's still valid as travelling out there without insurance is a no no.

The situation will no doubt change in the long term but for now, nothing is available.
nathanm

Re: Bike insurance for the USA no longer available

Post by nathanm »

Hi Bilco

In the same situation as you; a shipping container of bikes due to sail in a few weeks and no insurance at the other end. A lot of people are sweating over this. I'm led to believe a solution is imminent and will post one up if I hear it confirmed.
michaelmy

Post by michaelmy »

any update to this?
Michaelmy in London

BMW R 80 G/S, Honda Monkey,

supporting TRF, Rallymoto events, MCC Long Distance Trials
UKJeeper

Post by UKJeeper »

michaelmy wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:20 am any update to this?
Reach out to Fernet insurance, a broker in Florida. They sorted me out last year, when the brown stuff hit the fan right before my trip.

And should have other options in place by now.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Motorcycle Express have a contact from their website. Xinsurance I think they are called.
The quote wasn’t the right price for me so I went with Seguro Gringo.....I kid you not.
At the time they only offered third party cover.
https://www.segurogringo.com/

The Fernet route may have changed, but when I looked they needed you to have a US address. Also the wasn’t a specific policy for foreign registered vehicles so not sure it would hold up if you tried to claim.

Please let us know what you find out and if anything has changed/improved.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I really do think the best thing to do is buy a bike out there and go with someone like State Farm. It will be a US plated bike and you shouldn't have a problem getting it insured--especially if someone will give you a "home address" out there also. You have 90 days on your international driving permit also. But please correct me if I'm wrong--I worked out there for 3 years so had to pass a bike and car test for Us driving licences--the bike test in Illinois was interesting--managed feet up on a KLR 650.(around the cones in a car park--the swerve to miss the running dog was the oddest bit.)
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

I've just come back from the USA (14th June to 15th July) and had insurance with Fernet on my own bike for USA and Canada. I needed to say it was a UK Bike and provided them the VIN). I recommended them to a Danish guy too a few days ago and he managed to get cover (I think that's what he said anyhow) . Yes, you need a USA address to post some docs, but any old address with be fine (I have a friend who received them) as the actual insurance cards are emailed to you to print out.

Return to “TRAVEL”