Dash cameras etc illegal in certain countrys abroad

Bikers and riding
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Dash cameras etc illegal in certain countrys abroad

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:26 am
but now its just the normal and everyone is happy with it.

Not sure about that bit. There is still a large portion of the population very concerned about the surveillance culture, and even more so in light of how the data can now be manipulated. There is evidence that crime in CCTV-monitored areas just moves to less-monitored areas, rather than dropping overall.

If you combine CCTV in public with number plate recognition facilities, the constant footprint you leave when you make financial transactions, the gathering of data via social media and shopping sites, and a load of other means - you have a society that has never examined itself as closely as today. Which obviously makes it all the more important that we know who is doing the monitoring, why, for whom and to what end?
Anyone remember the fuss over the introduction of ID cards in the UK a few years back? The idea was dropped.

But now, everyone pays for and carries their own personal tracking device, equipped with a microphone and multiple cameras, and is happy to pay handsomely to do so.

(Because I'm a rebel, I sometimes leave mine at home when I go out walking the dogs. That'll show 'em.)

then there's all the info people put up on Facebook etc...in the name of God, why?

One of the reasons I left the TRF was it changed from Trail Riders Fellowship to Trail Riders Facebook. I wasn't going to play.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I know this is way off topic, but it is an interesting discussion. I recently inherited a hand-me-down I-phone. I've never owned or really used a smart phone before. The most modern I got to before I gave up my professional life was a Blackberry, back in 2005.

Anyway, as anticipated, I hate the thing.

The problem is that being a bit of an anti-social git I have no desire to phone anyone or for anyone to phone me. If I want a photo of something I use my proper camera, and likewise if I want to make a video. If I want a chat with somebody I'll call them briefly, arrange to meet in person and have good old drink and a natter. I have no particular desire to 'share' my experiences with strangers all the time, just occasionally on a forum like ABR if it's relevant or helps someone, and I see no reason why others should want to see what I ate for dinner. I don't want to be 'followed' by anyone (that used to be called stalking) or to follow anyone myself. I don't seek to be 'liked' by people I don't know. And I don't want the likes of Cambridge Analytica or Mark Zuckerberg knowing my thoughts or intentions.

So it looks like I'll be leaving the I-thing at home. I shall continue with the clunky old PC on this desk, I shall read my books made of paper, listen to my CDs and won't share the obsession with charging, signal strength, Wifi codes and facetime picture quality that seems to plague those who wear these smart phone/tablet like an extra limb.

We had a couple of old UK work colleague friends over to stay last weekend. These are 50+ year olds, not teenagers. It was bloody frustrating. Just as you got involved in a good conversation one or the other of them would drift off into 'phone-mode', concentrating on their little screen, swiping and tapping away, and making you feel like you were talking to a brick wall. It's f*cking rude, frankly. Nobody with these phones seems to be able to sit down and concentrate for more than a few minutes. Rant rant, old git, rant rant....
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

It all depends how much you let a smart phone take over, I never have but, it was handy when someone rear ended my car as I could take photos before the car was moved & take pics of the driver, the location & his licence. All things in moderation as they say. BUT they should be banned in pubs & restaurants etc nowt worse than a noisy git on a mobile!!
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

lancashirelad wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:55 pm It all depends how much you let a smart phone take over, I never have but, it was handy when someone rear ended my car as I could take photos before the car was moved & take pics of the driver, the location & his licence. All things in moderation as they say. BUT they should be banned in pubs & restaurants etc nowt worse than a noisy git on a mobile!!
Yeah, that's the annoying thing for me really. I am not a luddite and nor am I nostalgic for a world of papyrus, quills, smoke signals and carrier pigeons. I like progress (as long as the direction is relatively benign) and I want to like smart-phones. Indeed, Tracie's new one has a great app for telling you what everything is in the night sky when you point it upwards at the stars. Brilliant. Garmin-style navigation - brilliant (if you can work the damn thing out). There's even a function that allows us to hover the phone over a french printed document and gives us a half-decent translation of it in real time - amazing. But most of the people I meet with smart-phones use them to ignore you, neglect their children, discuss fuc*ing love island or share bloody pictures of kittens....
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I’m more likely to forget my phone than take it with me.
I use the Apple stuff for family messaging. I have a PAYG and spend all of £1 a month on calls or texts.
I do always take the phone when on the bike as it has a contact comfort factor.

However, we love our ipads. Much easier than my old computer and extremely useful.

I hate faceache but, while I am in the TRF, it’s the only way our group contact each other or arrange rides.
I am not a friend of the board as I moan too much about the way they are running the show and the loss of the old steam powered forum.

Google Earth, Street View and Maps are brilliantly useful. Cheaper than sat nav.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Mikekitts81 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:20 pm
Asgard wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:55 pm You are allowed to take photos of anyone or any thing in a public place UNLESS they object.

The main problem I have come across is thick as shit plod and security who don't know this and think they can stop you taking photos of things because it massages their fragile egos to

Code: Select all

pretend
they might be preventing a terrorist plot

P.S. Tramp, what about all the CCTV cameras on public roads and streets?, they don't ask to film you

PP.S. Headline quote from the MET....
Freedom to photograph and film

Members of the public and the media do not need a permit to film or photograph in public places and police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel.
There are a lot of caveats re anti-terrorism law that follow, but this is the basic premise.

PPPS..Sorry Mike, for the outrageous thread drift :D
Ha ha i dont mind its quite entertaining watching you 2 have a lovers tiff over taking picture and videos. It reminds me of when they started putting cctv everywhere at first everyone was in up roar about it civil rights etc etc was alll that came out there mouths but now its just the normal and eveyone is happy with it. I shall let you carry on the deul please pick your guns and take 10 spaces back before turning to shoot 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Tiff?, Duel?,are you serious? that wouldnt even register 3 on the banter scale
Its a trick............get an Axe

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”