The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

The Things We Ride
Slowlycatchymonkey

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey »

Thanks for the review Chris. Nice to hear it held up well.

I went out for a ride in the sunshine today and I’m amazed how much I like this bike. Before now if someone had told me I’d enjoy it as much as I am I would have laughed.
It’s easy to relax, enjoy the scenery and just ride. Time flies by and the miles rack up because it’s easy to ride and comfortable. Not with Chris on the seat thing, I love the seat but I’m lightweight so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Ordered sintered brake pads on Monday as discussed the brakes aren’t the best. Having said that I’ve got used to them now so will probably brake myself off the bike when I switch over :D
Fitted crash bars today and have Oxford heated grips ordered up.

No clock issues to date and I’m afraid to say it in case I jinx it but the compass seems to be working fine?!
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Just got back from a test ride on the Interceptor. It’s a great bike and certainly looks excellent value. Very smooth and has got excellent acceleration, the front brake is great, whereas the back one seemed a bit vague compared to the Himalayan, which is the other way round. The handling was excellent on twisty A roads, but not as good as the Himmy on the really little lanes. I did about 40 miles and it seemed really comfortable with a good riding position. The clocks seemed a bit low, maybe they are mounted there to suit the GT, but they were clear, no signs of misting.
Personally I would not want this engine in an off road chassis, but then I like going slow off road and the Interceptor engine just makes you want to wind the throttle open. The only bit of the bike where it feels a bit dated was the suspension which was adequate by got interesting if you hit any bumps when cranked over on the bends.
For what I want at the moment, the Himmy is the better bike, but if you want a retro styled road going tourer l would definitely look at one of these.
You could of course buy a Himmy and an Interceptor for about the same as a new Bonnie.
Cheers Jak
Slowlycatchymonkey

The ferodo sintered pads have made a good improvement. As you’d expect they don’t transform them into the most amazing brakes but they make a big enough difference that you no longer think the brakes aren’t great so I’m very happy with that.
The Oxford heated grips are a surprise, I didn’t expect them to get so hot!
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

Slowlycatchymonkey wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:12 am The ferodo sintered pads have made a good improvement. As you’d expect they don’t transform them into the most amazing brakes but they make a big enough difference that you no longer think the brakes aren’t great so I’m very happy with that.
Yes good cost effective changes, I certainly feel the difference with the brakes when fully loaded and with pillion. Feel more confident now with them. Toasty hands a big bonus too!
Slowlycatchymonkey

Mike Horton wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:58 am
Slowlycatchymonkey wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:12 am The ferodo sintered pads have made a good improvement. As you’d expect they don’t transform them into the most amazing brakes but they make a big enough difference that you no longer think the brakes aren’t great so I’m very happy with that.
Yes good cost effective changes, I certainly feel the difference with the brakes when fully loaded and with pillion. Feel more confident now with them. Toasty hands a big bonus too!
Thanks Mike 👍 I was happy with the bike before but now I don’t think about the brakes (they just do what they’re supposed to) and have moved up to very happy 😊
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

In good company. The Hondas I mean :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (242.93 KiB) Viewed 5883 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (225.42 KiB) Viewed 5883 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (242.47 KiB) Viewed 5883 times
gspod

Post by gspod »

Hi Himalyees.
A couple of questions please.
1 - I read Nathan Millward’s and Chris Scott’s excellent write ups but don’t remember either of them mention the chain. Is it a quality item? Adjustment? Lubing? Etc....
2 - It has a very low seat height and I need a very high seat height (my 1200gs is 930mm) or lots of leg room. What are the ergonomics like, say compared to a CRF250L?
I shall try to arrange a test ride at some stage.
Many thanks for any info
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

gspod wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:39 pm Hi Himalyees.
A couple of questions please.
1 - I read Nathan Millward’s and Chris Scott’s excellent write ups but don’t remember either of them mention the chain. Is it a quality item? Adjustment? Lubing? Etc....
2 - It has a very low seat height and I need a very high seat height (my 1200gs is 930mm) or lots of leg room. What are the ergonomics like, say compared to a CRF250L?
I shall try to arrange a test ride at some stage.
Many thanks for any info
I thought the stock o-ring chain was okay to be honest. Original lasted me 10,000 miles and that was with a bit of rough treatment. Much better than the chains fitted to budget Hondas and Suzuki which seem to stretch out after 3k miles. (I'm thinking VanVan 200 and MSX125s... don't know what the one on the CRF250 is like)
Some taller riders have complained about knees hitting the engine bars. Some seem to manage just fine, so I guess it depends on your leg length. But really you just need to book a test ride and see if it suits you or not.
gspod

Post by gspod »

Thanks Nathan.
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Actually, I do write in detail about the chain here:
https://adventure-motorcycling.com/2019 ... le-review/
Like Nathan, I'd estimate 10,000 miles with care which is pretty good for a stock chain.
On my CB500X I replaced the near new stocker for a DID before setting off.

930mm... with oxygen?
In that case, you will need a good 4 inches on the stock seat - level with the back - which will only improve comfort
I put 40mm of foam on mine - stock would be a bit too low for my knees, but better too low than too high for a change.

I found it more comfy and fun to ride, road or easy trails than a CRF. You don't feel the extra weight.

Return to “BIKES”