Klim Overshell Pants - Caution

Does my ass look big in these?
BobH

Klim Overshell Pants - Caution

Post by BobH »

I have just gone foul of Klim Warranty after some good years of service. I purchased a pair of overshell pants to add to my layering system for travelling through Europe to Africa. I did not have a chance to test them before I left UK. Wearing them for warmth rather than rain for a change. Later during the trip I put a 1cm graze in the knee and repaired them with a patch. On the return journey we were hit by heavy rain and the overshell jacket managed to direct water up into my midriff so got quite damp all over.

On return to the UK I used them on their own (sold off the jacket as useless for me) and they leaked in the thigh and crotch (not the repair in the knee). Sent them to Store who offered them to Klim. Klim refused to repair them as they had the graze in the knee.

Infairness their warranty clearly states:

The following items will void the lifetime warranty of the product even if the issue is unrelated to these damages:
- Rips, tears, cuts
- Burns, abrasions
- Accidents, crashes
- Improper Care, negligence
- Normal wear and tear
- Modifications, alterations
- Use other than the product’s intended purpose

I have had an independent test by a licensed Gore Tex Testing Facility who confirmed there was no damage to the thighs or crotch but the pants failed immediately in these areas during the Seuter test (they did not leak at my repair). Their conclusion was that the trousers were faulty from manufacture.

I am awaiting Klim's response.

Lesson learned, TEST Klim gear before you get anywhere near a bike.
v8mark

Re: Klim Overshell Pants - Caution

Post by v8mark »

Thanks for the review and update . With another trip in the planning i shall now spend my money on another system best of luck
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

I honestly can't comprehend why people pay Klim prices, Its all made by some poor sod in China.
Amazing what marketing psychology can do to a dedicated follower of fashion
Its a trick............get an Axe
scotsy

Post by scotsy »

i witnessed a mates low speed lowside (no names but he is on here) wearing some Klim gear and it literally fell apart. The worrying thing was that the hip armour came out but he was very lucky not to receive tarmac rash as there was a gaping hole about a foot long. I think he only escaped more severe injuries due to the low speed (about 20mph) and the fact he had crash bars fitted, fortunately only his pride (and his pants) were damaged beyond repair
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Asgard wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:13 pm I honestly can't comprehend why people pay Klim prices, Its all made by some poor sod in China.
If you believe it’s marketing psychology or riding kit that’s value for money.
Proper kit that does what it’s meant to in my experience.
Five year warranty too, with exceptions as per the OP’s story....and most other warranties too.

Each to his own I suppose.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

scotsy wrote:i witnessed a mates low speed lowside (no names but he is on here) wearing some Klim gear and it literally fell apart. The worrying thing was that the hip armour came out but he was very lucky not to receive tarmac rash as there was a gaping hole about a foot long. I think he only escaped more severe injuries due to the low speed (about 20mph) and the fact he had crash bars fitted, fortunately only his pride (and his pants) were damaged beyond repair
That is scary
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
BobH

Post by BobH »

Asgard wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:13 pm I honestly can't comprehend why people pay Klim prices, Its all made by some poor sod in China.
Thanks for your comments, however I can assure you I am no dedicated follower of fashion, I buy Klim kit or any other manufacturer because in the most part it fits and functions as I need it. As for manufacture in China, many items are also made in China but the cost is down to complexity, materiel used and wrapped up with quality control. In this instance it all failed and had I fully tested it before I put a hole in the knee they would have replaced it without question. My post is to outline the need for testing prior to use.
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Sorry but they should honor warrenty claim based on the deffective parts letting in water not the repair made while in use...like saying i changed a tire and my wheel disintegrated afterwards due to metsl fatigue :lol: ...

In my books warrenty is a manufactures reputation.....best of luck would be nuce to know if you had tested the dampo crouch ..then fell off and it leaked later..same outcome different story eh..
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Is it not the case that the Goretex company warrants products made using Goretex against leakage separate from any warranty from the garment maker?
BobH

Post by BobH »

That will be my next port of call. Although initially refused due to the field repair, Klim are now reviewing the report and images of the affected area I sent. Will see what their response is before going to GoreTex.

Return to “CLOTHING”