trf

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
HedgeHopper

Re: trf

Post by HedgeHopper »

Indeed, you would think for the prices they charge the OS maps would get updated every few years, the number of now non existant rights of way that are still shown is daft and they sell these things under the premise of guiding outdoor pursuits!!!

IIRC There is a get out clause printed somewhere on them so you can't sue them for leading you up the garden path

Slackers
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

But don't worry .. there will be a PC in full uniform and hat on and on duty with all the up to date info on every lane . just waiting on every lane to .. er.. guide you and put you right .. and explain to you that the OS map you are showing him needs to be cross referenced to the list of streets. definitive map. and advise you of seasonal dates of tros and any recent amendments to dmmo .. :)
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

I saw a Policeman ..................................................

.................................................once upon a time
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

If it's a BOAT on the OS and there's no TRO sign where it crosses/joins the major road, I'm riding it.

There's no chance of a prosecution succeeding in those circumstances.

TROs are used to create one-way streets, weight limits etc. Again, if there's no signing, a prosecution cannot succeed. Years ago, my mum got done by a speed camera, which had been set to a lower speed limit than the one posted (the signs weren't changed from 40 to 30 when the limit was lowered and the camera installed).
She paid up and forgot about it, but someone else clearly didn't because she later got a letter from the Council saying they were in error, her fine was refunded, compensation paid and the points removed from her licence.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:57 pm If it's a BOAT on the OS and there's no TRO sign where it crosses/joins the major road, I'm riding it.

There's no chance of a prosecution succeeding in those circumstances.

Good to know 8-) :D

OS is goverment-owned ..

We are a government-owned organisation and our symbiotic relationship with our shareholder, HM Government, is such that under the Public Sector Mapping Agreement (PSMA) and One Scotland Mapping Agreement (OSMA), we provide a hugely valuable service.
Our geographic data is so big, yet at the same time so granular and accurate, that we’ve mapped the location of every fixed physical object in Great Britain, from the ground upwards, to within one metre accuracy. And we have a team of around 300 surveyors and two aircraft that produce 10,000 updates to our system a day – to our OS MasterMap database.

so if the goverment want to prosecute, they will be unlikely to dispute their own maps?
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings Asgard,

In answer to your question, I think that the new version is definitely an improvement upon the original. I find that it is useful at this learning stage for me to have all three layers open, UCR, BOAT and legacy. To do this look on the left side and click the three horizontal line symbol, I am not the best computer operator so please bear with me.
layers.jpg
layers.jpg (33.28 KiB) Viewed 4386 times
I never liked the 'old' direction of travel question as I thought that it caused more of an impediment than being useful, a description works best and may assist by proving independent use of a lane for historical purposes. The system still relies upon peer completion of the routes to keep details of conditions relevant, and yes I am as bad as everyone else in that I ride the routes but do not always record such. I have noticed a few lanes which require updating however in the main it works very well. GLASS does have a small team monitoring the comments, etc, and the system is updated with legality issues as quickly as possible - certainly faster than the Highway Authorities, etc. The Peak District will be a problem for updating as there seems to be a continual onslaught to close lanes, more on this subject to come in a different Post.

Remember though that TW2 is only a tool, it is not a definitive answer - although it is the best that we currently have. The costs to introduce the system are eye watering!! The TRF made numerous claims about their introducing an improved version and I was even told by the Chairman last December that it was virtually completed and that it would be a "free facility for all to use" however so far I have not seen such a system being offered. Probably my fault as I do not frequent that website anymore.

OS maps have their place but as with any printed document it is historical before it hits the shop shelves. A route classified as a BOAT remains a BOAT but we may not use it if it is subject to a 'new' TRO restricting access to what are basically recreational vehicles. Route re-classification is difficult to keep up with too, Brushfield being a good example of a UCR being reclassified to a non motoring route. Most HA have an online mapping system but they are not uniform, change format, are not always up to date and can be difficult to find (well for me). Local knowledge is still the key to understanding the legality and conditions of a specific route.

TTFN

Hugh.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Thanks for the explanation Hugh :)
Its a trick............get an Axe
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Well sorry to report negatively, but after a few nights with Trailwise2 I honestly don't find it any better than the original trailwise.
Easier and more reliable to get yer highlighter out on the OS Maps IMO
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Isn’t it 4x4 based now, with little or no relevance to bikes?
Hence the never ending wait for the TRFs own system.

Luckily we can do all our Sussex lanes in a day anyway so not a big issue but no good for snyone visiting. We have a lot of bike excepted TROs that are only really found on the County Highways website.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Trailwise 2 makes no distinctions David

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”