eBikes next

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: eBikes next

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

We are becoming less tolerant.

Back in the 1970s, the lads in our village used to ride their motorcycles up a bridleway on the edge of the village and then use an abandoned chalk pit for 'trials'. If horseriders or walkers were met then the bikes would pull over and stop.

Sometimes the local plod would turn up...and make sure that the bikes had been pushed to the foot of the lane with their spark plugs disconnected.

The matter was raised on the parish council by a newcomer, and the council decided that there was no harm being done.

There was a badger sett in the pit, and the badgers didn't mind either.

If you did that now, they'd probably scramble the police helicopter and drag everyone to court.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i have freind that looks like me and rides the same bike ....and he rides every footpath bridlway riverbank and owt else that looks doable for 1000s of miles .... and has never had a singl problem .. just put it on te train take yer garmin or phone maps and crack on .add in a huge dollop of common sense and no one cares .. cos honesly theres no one oiut there to see you ..so why would they :..tbo 50percent everything my mate does on the e bike /or non e bike is not cosher but there really isnt a problem .. theres so much more out there than just national parks
rural GB has tens of thousands of miles of great tracks not to mention a coastline of 2500 miles ....a bit of common sense and you can pretty much do what you want 8-)

...it wont worry me...err or my mate :D

ImageIMG_20190610_134357 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0973 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

minkyhead wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:49 pm i have freind that looks like me and rides the same bike ....and he rides every footpath bridlway riverbank and owt else that looks doable for 1000s of miles .... and has never had a singl problem .. just put it on te train take yer garmin or phone maps and crack on .add in a huge dollop of common sense and no one cares .. cos honesly theres no one oiut there to see you ..so why would they :..tbo 50percent everything my mate does on the e bike /or non e bike is not cosher but there really isnt a problem .. theres so much more out there than just national parks
rural GB has tens of thousands of miles of great tracks not to mention a coastline of 2500 miles ....a bit of common sense and you can pretty much do what you want 8-)

That's good to hear. I can't fathom how anyone could seriously object in any way to a pedal bike assisted by a very quiet electric motor. Or a full electric motorbike for that matter. They are both a big step forward in bringing down noise levels for those who are upset by such things.

It would be so much healthier if everyone went out and enjoyed the country, and told themselves that what all the others are doing is none of their damned business.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

daveuprite wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:23 pm
minkyhead wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:49 pm i have freind that looks like me and rides the same bike ....and he rides every footpath bridlway riverbank and owt else that looks doable for 1000s of miles .... and has never had a singl problem .. just put it on te train take yer garmin or phone maps and crack on .add in a huge dollop of common sense and no one cares .. cos honesly theres no one oiut there to see you ..so why would they :..tbo 50percent everything my mate does on the e bike /or non e bike is not cosher but there really isnt a problem .. theres so much more out there than just national parks

That's good to hear. I can't fathom how anyone could seriously object in any way to a pedal bike assisted by a very quiet electric motor. Or a full electric motorbike for that matter. They are both a big step forward in bringing down noise levels for those who are upset by such things.

It would be so much healthier if everyone went out and enjoyed the country, and told themselves that what all the others are doing is none of their damned business.
well of course there are hotspots ....google says the lakes have 15.8 million visitors a year ..and where i live has about ..err threee :mrgreen: ..thing being when you start to look around your own back yard its amazing whats there ..ive started taking the train ive choices north south eat west and for 4 quid have some awsome options the coastal routes being fab .. routes are 90 percent off road ..its surprised me how much links so closely when you really use the os maps on the gps .... and for me its the best as i dont need anything except a good forcast for a good day and the will just to try stuff out ...its a shame it took me so long to relize whats on me own doorstep ..hiding in plain sight ..... 8-)
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

He does look very similar must be your Doppelganger lol... Mine does the same... And yes stay out the popular n parks and thw worlds your oyster...

I need to find a supplier of good non expensive batts as the kits are cheap but add 2 batts and nora batty thats flipping dear.. Tosser trump dont help annoying the chinese..
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Maybe we are getting in a tiz over a journalist trying to fill up their column inches to get paid, make up a story and kaching.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

Our own intolerants have probably just realised that they have been slow off the mark with this one it appears that e-bikes have been banned in some parks in the US and there are plans afoot to do the same in New Zealand !
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

The Rambliars are a very vocal presence on the NPA's; they'll be banning horses next!
XF650

Post by XF650 »

My two pence worth is that ebikes are a godsend! Bought a foldable ebike for the missus and now we can go out together on one of the many dedicated trails around here in Buxton. She never really liked cycling before but loves her ebike and actually asks to go out cycling now, wow! :o

We easily average about 10-12 mph over about 20-30 miles. I've got a non electric mountain bike and can finally get some decent exercise when we're out together instead of getting pissed off and frustrated at doing a snail's pace.

Don't do weekends though cos everyone and their dog's out. Don't do public roads either - when driving the car I ferkin hate cyclists but that's for another discussion lol! :mrgreen:
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I can avoid getting involved as my right knee has decided that cycling, battery assisted or not, is not a good idea.
The principle of them is great though and my wife and I would have been tempted otherwise.
No way to riding on the roads though...super scary round here.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “THE PUB”