Officially old?

Bikers and riding
catcitrus

Re: Officially old?

Post by catcitrus »

get a 1980s G/S--or a transalp etc--totally agree. They have all got lardy--but lets face it only a very small percentage see dirt. Now the Enfield Himalayan is going in the right direction , as is the Honda CRF 250 rally
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

herman wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:53 pm So the exc has gone in favour of a TTr, a 47hp twin has captured my full attention and now the MX5 2l sport is going and what have we bought? a bloody Volvo and an auto at that! Is there such a thing as an inverse mid life crisis where you go all sensible , start washing the car on Sunday and wearing driving gloves?
theres nothing wrong with volvos i have always liked them from a young age if i remeber rightly the volvo t5r estate was one of the quickest cars out and is still an icon nowdays it won many tourer classes in racing and did well and the volvos are built to last .. this video always tickled me take a watch some the guys i seen are 80 and still going strong isnt it this what keeps us younger than the retired normal 60 year old ..
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

never to old
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Mikekitts81 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:30 pm
herman wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:53 pm So the exc has gone in favour of a TTr, a 47hp twin has captured my full attention and now the MX5 2l sport is going and what have we bought? a bloody Volvo and an auto at that! Is there such a thing as an inverse mid life crisis where you go all sensible , start washing the car on Sunday and wearing driving gloves?
theres nothing wrong with volvos i have always liked them from a young age if i remeber rightly the volvo t5r estate was one of the quickest cars out and is still an icon nowdays it won many tourer classes in racing and did well and the volvos are built to last .. this video always tickled me take a watch some the guys i seen are 80 and still going strong isnt it this what keeps us younger than the retired normal 60 year old ..
I remember being told when I was a youngster. If you are being pulled by the cops and you are thinking about taking a chase... if they are in a fiesta, go for it, but if they are in a Vulva estate, forget it, you’ll never lose em.
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

FatFreddy wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:45 am
Mikekitts81 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:30 pm
I remember being told when I was a youngster. If you are being pulled by the cops and you are thinking about taking a chase... if they are in a fiesta, go for it, but if they are in a Vulva estate, forget it, you’ll never lose em.
still to this day the volvo is an icon of a car they were faster than bmws etc in there era and to strap a concrete slab to the back to keep the wheels on the floor and stop them spinning that says alot they were a car of power and well built shame they not the same anymore id still have one though :)
herman

Post by herman »

Have to say I would rather drive the Volvo than the MX5 as I arrive in a waft of understated luxury rather than tumbling out onto the kerb cursing my bruised ribs. :oops:
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Slowlycatchymonkey

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey »

Watched the whole 8 minutes waiting for the punchline that surely must be coming when the narrators doing a vid about staying young by doing exciting riding in a monotone voice that sounds like he’s been asleep for a hundred years but is still tired... no punchline, disappointed.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

herman wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:36 pm Have to say I would rather drive the Volvo than the MX5 as I arrive in a waft of understated luxury rather than tumbling out onto the kerb cursing my bruised ribs. :oops:
I can’t even get in or out of my wife’s Mini (BMW Version) without groans and much levering.
Got an Audi Q3 at the moment but looking at a slightly sportier SUV as getting in and out is a major part of car buying or holiday hiring now. :(

I know sporting SUV is an oxymoron but they are still quicker and handle well if you choose wisely.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Slowlycatchymonkey

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey »

Many moons ago when Grandads hips went from wear n tear he went round all the dealers trying out 4X4’s and chose based purely on how well he could swing his legs in n out 😆
Worked very well, he ended up with a Toyota Rav 4 and I remember chuckling about it at the time. Nowadays however I’m not laughing about it quite so much, seems a wise move I’ll use when I next buy a vehicle!

Post by 7800 »

Great thread and fantastic comments!!! I'm 52 and going UK to Cape Town on a CRF250l next year, you're never too old eh?. I loved a comment in an earlier post and am going to steal it to name my trip(thanks Gary). Oxford to Cape Town the "Adventure before Dementia Tour 2020"!! There are 3 of us going and I'm the youngest.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”