Speeding Warning

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
bigfoot

Speeding Warning

Post by bigfoot »

Warning to all. We've just got back from our Euro trip and received letters in the post from Luxembourg Police. I've been fined 49 Euros for doing 1 km/hr over the speed limit and my Dad was done for 2km/hr over the speed limit (in a 70km/hr limit)

So, probably best to take real care or better, avoid altogether if you can.

Speaking to others today, I've heard a few people being done for marginals in Luxembourg so not sure if it's new policy, so be careful out there :)
byewayrider

Re: Speeding Warning

Post by byewayrider »

Luxemburg propably needs the money and its the easiest way to generate cash...A give away when touring in foreign countrys is that if the locals speed and drive like crazys you can do too...BUT if they sall stick to the speed limit then so should you :lol: ..

In the uk if your stopped by a handheld or mobile camera go to court and ask for the calibration certificate that covers the machine that nabed you ...99% arent calibrated every day they are issued for service :o 8-) so the fine is thrown out..
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

These fines raise a few questions, assuming it is not a scam, difficult to verify authenticity.
In Scotland the chief constable got a roasting for certain police officers fining people for 1 or 2 MPH over an out of town limit i.e. not 30 or 40 MPH limits.
So you have to wonder what these guys are doing.
It also raises questions about DVLA data security.
I would definitely speak to a lawyer about these fines.
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

Dark Knight wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:47 pm
It also raises questions about DVLA data security.
I would definitely speak to a lawyer about these fines.
If parking cowboys can legitamately get your contact details from DVLA I can't imagine the Luxemburg Police having too much of a problem.
If a foreign driver commits an offence over here, wouldn't you want him prosecuted wherever he lives.
Laws are different in different countries. In the US if you lend someone your car , and they go round and shoot someone, you get done as an accomplice to murder.
Just as an observation, by the time the Solicitor has finished his investigations the £45 pound fine will seem a bargain.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

I wouldn't pay it
Its a trick............get an Axe
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

All EU countries have access to the DVLA database.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Fried Egg Sandwich

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

vRSG60 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:22 am All EU countries have access to the DVLA database
No they don't.
They have agreement to be able to request information though, as the UK does from any if the other 27 EU countries.

That is a very different thing to having access.
That would be a massive breach of GDPR.
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Personally I would throw it in the bin ( proof of postage is not proof of receipt) then if they are serious they will send you a recorded delivery letter at which point I would pay it.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “TRAVEL”