Decent brands when talking lids, please.

Does my ass look big in these?
PaulinBont

Re: Decent brands when talking lids, please.

Post by PaulinBont »

Anyone got any experience of Shark helmets please?

I'm considering this one:

Shark D-Skwal Dharkov
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

I had the shark drek I had the chin piece airbrushed it was an amazing helmet comfy for 10-12 hour days and well made
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Unfortunately it is impossible to predict when you are going to need your helmet and what sort of accident you are likely to have. There is a lot of research into helmet usage and most of it is inconclusive. A heavier helmet can cause neck or spinal injuries, one with too hard a shell is often not as effective as one with a more flexible one. Years ago the police always favoured open face lids for reasons of better visibility, officers I spoke to also felt it was easier to establish eye contact and car drivers were more hesitant when pulling out in front of them when they wore open faces. Over heating and subsequent dehydration is another factor, which whilst rare in this country can be an issue.
If you pay more for a better quality lid it may last longer, but you will want to hang onto it for longer before replacing it. My Schubert’s and Duchinni are similar in many ways but the Duchinni cost a quarter of what the Schuberth did. It is also lighter and has much better airflow so I use it in the summer or when green laning.
If you haven’t got a supplier near you Sportsbike offer free returns, I do not know if other shops do this.
Cheers Jak
Kiwiscoot

Post by Kiwiscoot »

I have had a Caberg Duke for more than 5 years/80 000 kms. It is the most bang for your buck if you are looking at modular/system helmet, price vs safety. It out performs many more costly helmets. Good quality too, I've had no issues with it.
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?manuf ... max&type=1

I have been so happy with it that I have just replaced it with the Tourmax version, the adventure version of the Duke.
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

I now have a shoei hornet adv and it is by far the best helmet I have ever owned comfy light incredibly made the shark is not a patch on this helmet everything works as it should and is well built for £500 it's expensive but I wouldn't put my head in anything else
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Sanqhar wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:00 pm Personally I would steer clear of the cheaper end of the market which tend to be polycarbonate.

Tom
Many current polycarbonate helmets score 5 star safety in sharp test, just because its polycarbonate doesn't make it inferior.
More important that it fits your head correctly, has a good safety rating.
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

Kiwiscoot wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:00 pm I have had a Caberg Duke for more than 5 years/80 000 kms. It is the most bang for your buck if you are looking at modular/system helmet, price vs safety. It out performs many more costly helmets. Good quality too, I've had no issues with it.
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?manuf ... max&type=1

I have been so happy with it that I have just replaced it with the Tourmax version, the adventure version of the Duke.
Another Caberg fan here - I've been using them for years & love them....

Comfortable & convenient.

D
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

PaulinBont wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:23 pm Anyone got any experience of Shark helmets please?

I'm considering this one:

Shark D-Skwal Dharkov
I've tried several Shark helmets and I just could not get one a comfortable fit on my head. Same with Bell helmets.

I spent the best part of a day in J&S trying on most of their range of helmets and getting totally confused. In the end I settled on a helmet that was comfortable and had the feature I really wanted. Without realising, I'd picked basically the same Shoei helmet I already have but with the integrated dark visor.

The other helmet that was even more comfortable (and cheaper :x ) was an Arai but they don't do integrated dark visors, apparently because it compromises the helmet. Looking at the Sharp rating my GT-Air (integrated) is 3* and my Qwest (not) is 5*, so maybe there's something in that.
onslowe

Post by onslowe »

Tried a Shark D-Skwal Dharkov but found it very uncomfortable and poor for visibility, also had a Shark EVO 3 flipfront, good quality but heavy, uncomfortable and very noisy. I ended up with a Nolan N87, very comfy and great visibility, a good helmet for the price, also recommend Caberg helmets, great value for money, decent quality and comfort
OB1

Post by OB1 »

After 35 years of riding, I've owned plenty of helmets but have always gone back to Shoei.

As was said earlier: buy the best that you can afford as you only get one head.

Try as many on as you can, however, trying them on in the shop and actually having them on your head in the real world for several hours are two completely different things. Several years ago, even though I already had 5 helmets, I decided that I needed a Valentino Rossi replica, so I popped down to the local AGV dealer to try some on. Happy with the fact that the Medium/Large (they do mid-sizes) was my size, I went online and found a Rossi/Pink Floyd for the discounted price of £550! That was about 30% more than I'd ever spent on a lid but I bit the bullet and bought it. It arrived and fitted great... until the first long ride where I found that it gave me the most incredible headaches. It just sits wrong for my head. I still have it but rarely use it.

This is worth a watch: https://youtu.be/eBnioxhXkFA
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com

Return to “CLOTHING”