Tyres...again and again..

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Tyres...again and again..

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Currently running the Mefo Explorer/Super Explorer combination on my 950 Adv. They are nearing the end of their lives.

The Super Explorer is now only sold 'Not for Highways Use' in the EU & UK, and having done 2 sets of Mefo, I'm happy to be openminded about their replacement.

My riding...I do a hell of a lot of motorways, but the start & finish of each journey is a dirt track, then there's a couple of miles of dirty/wet tarmac before I reach anything that could be regarded as a 'normal' road. Plus I do the odd bit of easy green laning.

I'm looking at the Hedi K60 Scout and the marginally more expensive Conti TKC70. Something like the Conti Trail Attack won't do...it's got less tread than some road tyres.

What do folk think of those tyres, and are there others I should consider...It's a difficult ask, but I need something that can stand repeated trips Cornwall - Birmingham or London and retain composure on rough and dirty roads.

Rim sizes are standard 90/90 21 and 150/70 18. I've never had a Michelin motorcycle tyre that I liked, so would prefer not to buy that make. I'm not a brand snob...I love the VeeRubber tyes on my GasGas.
gspod

Re: Tyres...again and again..

Post by gspod »

I’ve run K60 scouts for around 100K miles now and really like them. Brilliant for motorway as they have a solid middle strip so last for ages. I have done dry trails such as Stella, Jafferau etc with no problems - I don’t think they’re suitable for any mud.
My wife runs TKC70s. Again a great tyre, don’t square off like Metzler, long lasting. She has done some unmade roads and dry trails again with no problems.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

If you like the Mefo super explorer, have a look at the Mitas eo7. I run them on my 950 for touring and road work.
Great grip even in wet, and good longevity. I had the Mefo before and think the Mitas are far superior.
There is a slightly newer version out the Mitas eo7+ which is getting some good reviews.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

The new e07plus rears are excellent much like old heindeau k60 before they got silica lol... Designed for big bikes... Run one on my xt660z...... Look round as prices vary.... E07 front are great too...

https://www.guidedmotorbiketours.co.uk/ ... re-review/
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

We’ve been running TKC70’s on our 800GS’s during our current trip.

10,000 miles from a rear and about 12,000 from the fronts. They’ve been good in the rain, like most tyres they cope with dry gravelly tracks. Not much good in sand!!
I even did a couple of sessions of a track day and they were fine.

Due to lack of supply last front tyre change I now have a Heidenau K60 front tyre. More noise, more vibes, OK in dry dirt roads.....time will tell how it lasts.

Return to “TECHNICAL”