EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Pint Master

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Pint Master »

Oh, the irony...

[/quote]

if this takes off as a thing can you imagine the numbers involved the legal system would grind to a halt.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

daveuprite wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:10 pm
DavidS wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:02 pm
I would still rather leave but if this is likely to go on beyond October, I would rather stay than have this ridiculous impasse.
That's interesting. Think that's the first time I've heard a brexiter say that.
I did sneak it in here a few weeks ago.
I have always been totally against European political intervention but totally for the original EEC trading situation and still hold the same views but the persistent political undermining of the process is finally getting to me. TM cokkd it all up by having that stupid general election and I am sure we would have been long out of it by now and I would be a happy bunny.

However, it seems clear that there is an absolute political determination to stay and, although I still don’t know if I could vote to remain or revoke Article 50, Parliament seems determined to foil things at every turn. Even that prize tosser, John Bercow, wants to stay on so he can fix things his way.

Any new Conservative leader will still hit the same brick walls here and in Brussels so what can change.

I have never been a fan of PR (always a first past the post Conservative except for my Brexit party, not Farage, protest vote last week) but maybe it’s time has now come so both Tory and Labour strangleholds might be broken. The trouble is I think it will lead to endless hamstrung coalitions. A Labour government would almost certainly be worse than being in the EU - Abbott for chancellor or home secretary anyone? :shock:
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Crossrutted wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:53 pm

Anyway, the one thing this thread proves is that none of us is going to have our views changed by posts from the opposite team.
I may have to go and ride my bike instead.... 8-)
very wise advice .. 8-)
which I am going to follow :D
(once the cold-wet has been converted to warm-dry) :roll: :lol:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Saw an interview with Rory Stewart yesterday. Very interesting. A tory politician who speaks with an air of uncertainty. Always a sign of intelligence. Someone who knows that there are no simple answers. That there are many unknowns. Instead of blustering with false surety on subjects where definite answers are not possible, he replied honestly that he couldn't be certain about some of the possible outcomes. This accurately reflects the nature of brexit - an unplanned pregnancy and parents who want completely different things for their disfigured child.

One sign of intelligence is to know that you do not know everything and, importantly, not to pretend that you do. This is the polar opposite of what seems to work with our increasingly poorly educated electorate where pretending you know something about a subject you have no idea about is seen as the best quality in a politician.

And Stewart is honest about the vital need to avoid exiting the EU without a deal in place. So far the only candidate in the Tory leadership race (basically the opposite of a beauty contest) to display any kind of leadership credentials.

(This falls far short of saying 'I like him' !)
Last edited by daveuprite on Thu May 30, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

daveuprite wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:46 am Saw an interview with Rory Stewart yesterday. Very interesting. A tory politician who speaks with an air of uncertainty. Always a sign of intelligence. Someone who knows that there are no simple answers. That there are many unknowns. Instead of blustering with false surety on subjects where definite answers are not possible, he replied honestly that he couldn't be certain about some of the possible outcomes.

And he is honest about the vital need to avoid exiting the EU without a deal in place. So far the only candidate in the Tory leadership race (basically the opposite of a beauty contest) to display any kind of leadership credentials.
Saw that what a Pratt ,May set the bar so low that people who you wouldn't trust to run a sweet shop think they can run for PM.
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Anyone that thinks this new suit is any different to the old suits needs a check up from the neck up

P.S Don't forget that the choice for next Conservative leader will be narrowed down to a choice of 2 by Conservative MPs...thats right the very people who have royaly fucked up the last 3 years will choose amongst themselvesFROM THE DOZEN OR SO (AND RISING ALL THE TIME) CANDIDATES leaving their 2 preferred candidates to be put before the rest of the conservative party

...you think you might end up with someone with integrity?...FFS :lol:
Trev

Post by Trev »

HedgeHopper wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:06 pm
...you think you might end up with someone with integrity?...FFS :lol:
What about Boris, I thought he is reknowned for acting with complete integrity, or was there a teeny eeny weeny fib or two here and there ....... ? :lol:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

daveuprite wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:46 am Saw an interview with Rory Stewart yesterday. Very interesting. A tory politician who speaks with an air of uncertainty. Always a sign of intelligence. Someone who knows that there are no simple answers. That there are many unknowns. Instead of blustering with false surety on subjects where definite answers are not possible, he replied honestly that he couldn't be certain about some of the possible outcomes. This accurately reflects the nature of brexit - an unplanned pregnancy and parents who want completely different things for their disfigured child.

One sign of intelligence is to know that you do not know everything and, importantly, not to pretend that you do. This is the polar opposite of what seems to work with our increasingly poorly educated electorate where pretending you know something about a subject you have no idea about is seen as the best quality in a politician.

And Stewart is honest about the vital need to avoid exiting the EU without a deal in place. So far the only candidate in the Tory leadership race (basically the opposite of a beauty contest) to display any kind of leadership credentials.

(This falls far short of saying 'I like him' !)
I'm not a Tory voter, but I could be a Rory voter.

He's got huge experience of the worst parts of the Middle East etc, and mostly gained literally gained on his feet.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I’m not defending Boris but the lawsuit is purely a personal animosity move.
If they go for it it should be Leave as a group, not an individual.

However, they are going for ‘actions while in office’ but this wasn’t a parliamentary issue so surely he was just a member of Leave who happened to be an MP.

As per the radio at lunchtime. Nobody has been after Blair for WMD or the Project Fear lies.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

DavidS wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:51 pm I’m not defending Boris but the lawsuit is purely a personal animosity move.
If they go for it it should be Leave as a group, not an individual.

However, they are going for ‘actions while in office’ but this wasn’t a parliamentary issue so surely he was just a member of Leave who happened to be an MP.

As per the radio at lunchtime. Nobody has been after Blair for WMD or the Project Fear lies.
The Chilcot Report dealt with that interesting point though.

I guess the difference between what Boris et al said and the project fear stuff was that Boris knew the truth about how much we pay into the EU but told the lie and (as far as I can remember) the project fear stuff was predictions based on information from experts.

I know that all polititains are snakes but Boris really is not intersted in anything outside of his own personal success...
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪

Return to “THE PUB”