EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
DavidS

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by DavidS »

That was a surprise but true although how many voted would be interesting.
Makes a complete mockery of all the analysis but it could be assumed they would tend to vote pro Remain.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

There is a big issue brewing. Lots of EU citizens living in the UK were denied the chance to vote, and many of us UK citizens living abroad received our postal votes too late for our votes to count.

Some see this as a conspiracy to deny probable remain voters their chance to vote. Personally, as one who used to work in this sector, I think it's more likely incompetence and poor management, partly resulting from the short time that central government gave local authorities in the UK to prepare for these elections.

Either way thousands of votes are missing/denied/not counted, not through apathy on the part of electors but because the systems failed them.

A class action/court case is almost inevitable, but like all these things the resulting fine or whatever, probably levied in a couple of years time, will do nothing to change things. Just as the fine for 'Leave UK''s illegal activities in the 2016 referendum campaign made no impact on the result they managed to achieve.

So the lesson remains: if you want to lie your way to an election victory, or break the electoral rules, then go ahead - your belated slap on the wrist will be worth every penny. No wonder Farage and his funder Banks press ahead regardless, with virtual impunity.
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

Were there any conspiracy to corrupt the vote it would have been to disadvantage the Leave vote , Im sorry but I dont think non residents should have been voting any more than non citizens residing in the UK.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Lies, Project Fear...the same thing to normal people. It wasn’t one sided so there is no point in perpetuating the difference.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

It's the EU election, so all EU citizens should have the right to vote, irrespective of where in the EU they have exercised their lawful freedom to live.

the only question is whther that should be in their home nation, or nation of residence.

I know a good few EU27 residents in the UK earning big money and paying big taxes here, and employing plenty of British people.

Why the hell shouldn't they vote?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I understand Monsieur Farage is resident in his ancestral home nation of France, has a French partner (plus a German wife and children), and works in France and Belgium.

I wonder which nation he should vote in?
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

They are allowed to vote in general and local government elections if they've done the paperwork and their tax money goes towards funding the the facilities that they enjoy here but I dont think as non UK citizens they should be able to vote on some thing as fundamental to the bedrock of the UK in the same way I wouldn't expect them to be called up for military service in the event of war.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:59 pm I understand Monsieur Farage is resident in his ancestral home nation of France, has a French partner (plus a German wife and children), and works in France and Belgium.

I wonder which nation he should vote in?
I dont see the relevance?

``Nigel Paul Farage ( ; born 3 April 1964) is a British politician, broadcaster, and political analyst currently serving as leader of the Brexit Party since March 2019``

Farage was born in Downe in Kent, England, the son of Barbara (née Stevens) and Guy Justus Oscar Farage.[23][24][25] His father was a stockbroker who worked in the City of London. …. Farage's grandfather, Private Harry Farage, fought and was wounded in the First World War.[27] It has been suggested that the Farage name comes from a distant Huguenot ancestor,[28] although research suggests that the name was originally Farridge.[citation needed] One of his great-grandfathers, Carl Schrod- whose daughter married Harry Farage-[29] was born to German parents who migrated to London in the 19th century.[30]
Last edited by garyboy on Wed May 29, 2019 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:54 pm It's the EU election, so all EU citizens should have the right to vote, irrespective of where in the EU they have exercised their lawful freedom to live.
I agree
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

daveuprite wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:57 pm .. Lots of EU citizens living in the UK were denied the chance to vote, and many of us UK citizens living abroad received our postal votes too late for our votes to count.

DISGRACEFUL !!

.. I think it's more likely incompetence and poor management, partly resulting from the short time ..

YEP

.. the fine for 'Leave UK''s illegal activities in the 2016 referendum campaign made no impact on the result they managed to achieve.
.. No wonder Farage and his funder Banks press ahead regardless, with virtual impunity.

I JUST READ UP ON THIS (MEMORY POOR :roll: ) .. AS THE REFERENDUM WAS JUST `ADVISORY` THERE WAS NO ILLEGALITY .. .. .. (NO LAW TO COVER IT)
ALSO, THE GOVT IS ALLOWED TO SPEND £10,000,000 OF TAXPAYERS MONEY ON AN OVERTLY BIASED REMAIN CAMPAIGN, AND RECRUIT THE BANK OF ENGLAND, BARACK OBAMA, ETC .. BUT IT IS NOT RIGHT TO GET £8M PRIVATE FUNDING (OVERSPENT ADMITTEDLY, AGAINST THE RULES) TO PUT AN OPPOSING VIEW?
Last edited by garyboy on Wed May 29, 2019 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “THE PUB”