EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Phrases like 'the enemy' need to be used with caution in international relations, unless you are actually at war.

The biggest potential threat to this country, and indeed the rest of the west, is from the People's Republic of China, where the clock is rapidly being wound back to Maoist times. When the west last crossed swords with the PRC (Korean war) we were fighting a primitive country, dependent upon Russian technology, and weakened by Japanese occupation and a subsequent civil war. Nonetheless, the Red Army was a formidable opponent, prepared to trade human life for military advantage in a way no other country ever has.

The PRC, enrichened by China's role as 'workshop of the world' and the huge advances China has made in electronics, now has a blue-water navy, and the ability to project power by hard or soft means, throughout the world (a nuclear power station in the UK, 5G networks etc).

As part of a resolute European Union, the UK will be in a far stronger position than as a post-Brexit little street whore trying to sell itself to all major powers, with the village idiot installed in Number 10.
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Blimey Richard, from Left wing libetarian to Trumpian doomsday rhetoric...I'm shocked :lol:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

HedgeHopper wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:40 pm Blimey Richard, from Left wing libetarian to Trumpian doomsday rhetoric...I'm shocked :lol:
Hardly. Anyway, that couldn't be confused with Trump's rhetoric because it was coherent.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

My god. The miserable opinion of the UK from some Remainers, particularly ex-pats, is more depressing than any Brexit scenario.
The theory the we can’t do things off our own efforts and need nice uncle EU for our complete existence is such a wrist slitting thought.
Some of you guys need to get out and enjoy life rather than spend inordinate amounts of time researching negative comments.
There is a lovely world out there. Since my wife and I retired we have spent so much time outdoors, gardening, walking, occasionally getting time to ride my bikes, diy’ing the house and generally improving our way of life, none of which seemed to need the EU to boost my morale...OK, don’t answer that one as it will open a can of worms....
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

daveuprite wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:49 pm
HedgeHopper wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:40 pm Blimey Richard, from Left wing libetarian to Trumpian doomsday rhetoric...I'm shocked :lol:
Hardly. Anyway, that couldn't be confused with Trump's rhetoric because it was coherent.
I think I've picked up a stalker :lol: :lol:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

:D

Just being realistic about PRC. Kate Adie was on Radio 4 the other day talking about what she saw at Tianamen Square. That's how a more liberal Chinese Government than the one we have now treated its own people.

China's African strategy is very interesting. First the infrastructure is put in in the form of 'aid'...railways, roads and ports.
Then middle men buy up land from small local farmers..."Why work this little plot, when with the money I will give you for it, you can go to the west, and get free money, healthcare and education for your children."
The land gets consolidated and taken over by 'front' enterprises, that are extensions of the Chinese Government.
China gets 'empty land' and the west gets the former occupants to feed and house.
It's a brilliant strategy.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I wouldn’t trust China as far as I could throw them.
I am as guilty as most people of, selectively, buying their products but generally on the basis that they do make what would be financially out of reach products justifiable.
This Huawei business is the weirdest. The forthcoming political face-offs will be interesting.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Can't disagree with any of that Richard

(must try harder)

BUT..... I don't see a united Europe ever happening and to be honest I dont want to.
Unity could only ever be a short lived illusion relying on everyone pretending to share the same values, in reality we never will and I'm no bloody good at pretending anyway

Vive le difference :D
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

gosh .. however did we manage before the EU held us by the dick?

street whore? … ffs !!! .. that's what we are NOW !! with the EU as pimp!

and that pimp getting more and more greedy with more and more demands and control of our body
Benson-1215

Post by Benson-1215 »

In :shock: Irish passport applied for. :shock:
"I came into this world with nothing and with careful management
I still have most of it left'

Return to “THE PUB”