Help and advice

Post by qcnr »

I am in the enviable position of buying a new bike, and my shortlist was:
KTM 1090 R
KTM 790 R
KTM 690 Enduro
Yam 700
Honda CRF 1000L

I had a Honda XL600V ( 97) up to christmas last year and enjoyed it a lot. And managed to double the mileage for
the 7 years I owned it (from 42k to nearly 90).
So the challenge, living in Norway motorbike dealerships are few and far between. My local ones don't have any
of the bikes on hte list.
Couldn't find anyone stocking a 1090, apart from a '17 overlyer at '19 price.
No one can get the 790R
Don't know when Yam 700 coming

That leaves the 690 and AT.
Never ridden a 690, but have founs a dealer in Northern Norway that has a '19 in stock and willing to ship.
Have found a dealer with a nice matt black AT (my preference) '18 with 270 km on the clock. Have sat on an AT.

My riding will mostly be commuting and touring. I did some big trips on my TA on my own and want to continue doing so,
I also really enjoy offroad riding. So I wanted a bike that either had more power than my AT or was lighter.
Both bikes fill those criteria, but without being able to see or even sit on the actual bikes, I'm a bit
in 2 minds as to which to go for.
I like the Honda, but really like the idea of the 690. Lighter more powerful, and may order some bits from Rade Garage
and it will still be cheaper than the Honda....

Any advice?
Beasty

Re: Help and advice

Post by Beasty »

Having ridden 90% of your short list and reading your riding requirements and taking into account where you live wait till the T7 is available.
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Surely someone local has a second hand bike they own you could try.... Recommending a bike to someone is line saying my wifes okay but her sister is better :lol:....

Ive a ktm and it aint no tourer...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

How much would a few days in the UK cost?
See if you can arrange a series of test rides and have a little holiday as well.

What about the Husky 701 if your listing the 690?
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Can’t find any 701s where I live.
The Yam is tempting but not sure I want to buy something nobody knows when its coming. I think I’m going for the 690. At least it’s the cheapest. :D
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I don’t think the Yam exists. ;) It’s just Yamaha playing mind games. :)
If and when it does eventually arrive, it had better be the perfect bike at the perfect price but somehow I’m not convinced.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
herman

Post by herman »

If your riding is mostly " commuting and touring" the 690 will be the last bike you need. It is a dirt bike on steroids with the associated fettling needed. 1090 would be my choice but are they still making them or has KTM yet again axed a perfectly good bike for a newer model.? Sounds like the AT is top of the list but don't rush in to any bike even if it means travelling ….serves you right for living amongst all that loverly scenery. :D
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

The Yam T7 is actually more expensive than the 690 here :shock: So I think that is off the list. Being sensible has never been my strong point, so there may be a 690 in my near future. Travelling fo an all expeses paid 15 day ‘holiday’ in the north sea, at the moment.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

I tested a few bikes a couple of years ago. Same sort of use, commuting and tours. I ended up with a Multistarda 950 which is a great bike but not something I recommend for commuting.
I would stay away from the big KTM and Honda, again probably not great for commuting. And having bought a new bike that was also a new model, I wouldn't recommend that (it's new to the dealers, aftermarket parts are non-existant, insurance companies aren't up to speed so that costs a bomb and of course the dreaded teething trouble) so the Yams an no from me.
The bike that really surprised me is not on your list. The V-Strom of either size is a really nice bike and in many ways probably the bike I should have bought ;)
Benson-1215

Post by Benson-1215 »

Fly over to the UK go to the ABR festival there will be a field full of very odd people who would either let you sit on their bikes have a quick spin around a easy course. Rumour has it there will be new bikes to test as well.
T7 no less.
Fly home and have a big smile on your face.
"I came into this world with nothing and with careful management
I still have most of it left'

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”