Dunno what insurance I need?

Bikers and riding
Slowlycatchymonkey

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey »

I see on my other bike policy everything that can be excluded is. It definitely excludes off road riding, which I assume includes all green laning?
When I ring up to insure my bike tomorrow Im guessing fully comp for a bike you take off road is just a laughable/impossible price and that third party is the way to go?

What’s the norm? What to I do? The bikes worth about 3k and I know insurance companies are reliable honest dependable trustworthy institutions (cough cough) but I don’t want to rely on their advice.

Help
bill_qaz

Re: Dunno what insurance I need?

Post by bill_qaz »

Green lanes as you call them are byways which have the same status as a road!called BOAT byway open to all traffic, so you are not riding off road, you can only do that on private land with the owners permission .You do not insure for off road. Hope that helps
Slowlycatchymonkey

bill_qaz wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:14 pm Green lanes as you call them are byways which have the same status as a road!called BOAT byway open to all traffic, so you are not riding off road, you can only do that on private land with the owners permission .You do not insure for off road. Hope that helps
Yes I kinda thought the BOAT was still a road but I will also likely be off ‘road’. Any suggestions about insurance?
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Like I said you can only be off road if on private land and you do not need insurance. What do mean by off road
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

Given that bikes have to be Road Legal to go on Green Lanes, I've never even mentioned it to my Insurers. I've always assumed that they're just slightly bumpier roads than anyone can go on in any Road Legal vehicle if they like.....

D
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Slowlycatchymonkey wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:56 pm I see on my other bike policy everything that can be excluded is. It definitely excludes off road riding, which I assume includes all green laning?
When I ring up to insure my bike tomorrow Im guessing fully comp for a bike you take off road is just a laughable/impossible price and that third party is the way to go?

What’s the norm? What to I do? The bikes worth about 3k and I know insurance companies are reliable honest dependable trustworthy institutions (cough cough) but I don’t want to rely on their advice.

Help
like already said .. green lanes when BOATS, are fully legal .. I never state `off road` to insurance companies and hope that I am covered in all eventualities .. For that I used to get fully comp but it is just too expensive (for me) these days, but try the internet comparison sites, as you may be surprised by the quotes .. either way.

dont mention `off road`, just get a quote, as for a road bike?
.. as BOATS are legally roads!!
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Not all 'green lanes' are BOATS

In fact there aren't a huge amount of BOATS in uk - not in Yorkshire anyway

BOATS don't have their own road number

Most Green Lanes are UCR's actually

UCR = Unclassified County Road and will have its own road number - just like the A1 or the M1

So it's a road ....same as the A4 or A45, you don't need any 'special' insurance or even need to tell your insurer as a road is just a road - surfaced (tarmac) or unsurfaced (grass or gravel)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

I think you can get insurance for yourself if doing 'Dangerous sports' (ie rock climbing, enduro racing, that type of thing) but this will be a separate policy from your 'road' insurance, and its not as expensive as you may think, try googling it and good luck. :D
OB1

Post by OB1 »

About 8 years ago, I dropped my first Tiger 800 XC whilst riding a green lane near Thetford Forest: I got cross-rutted on wet grass and went down on the left at about 10 mph. The outcome seemed to be just a bent gear lever, however, once straightened, I couldn't select any gears meaning that something had broken or bent within the gearbox.

Everyone agreed that, as we were on a BOAT, there should be no problem calling for recovery and claiming on my fully comprehensive insurance. Just to be sure, we towed the Tiger half a mile to the main road to await collection by the AA.

The claim went through without a hitch, other than the insurance company's approved repair centre taking three months over summer to repair the bike...
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Slowlycatchymonkey

So the gist of this is that green lanes are all boats so count as roads and on private land you don’t need insurance anyway... so unless you’re wanting fully comprehensive insurance to cover off road activities on privately owned land then don’t mention it.
I wonder if that’s the insurance companies interpretation.

Thanks for the help.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”