Himalayan Compass?????

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Slowlycatchymonkey

Re: Himalayan Compass?????

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey »

The guy in the RE dealers said the compass will be fine if you’re away from every object with a magnetic field. I said “so that means it will work properly almost nowhere in the uk?” He laughed and said “yep”

I suppose they did originally design the bike for an Indian market, maybe it works there?!
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

If its a magnetic compass--on a metal bike then its worse than useless anyway. Now if it relied on GPS signals thats a different matter--buy a Garmin Montana and set the screen if you really need one. Joking aside it would be much better if it were removable(but locked in place) so that you could walk to a decent "clear space " and check the bearing there.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Given where it is mounted and the limited space on the bars, it could be effected by other devices such as mobile phones. I am not sure about GPSs, but mobiles used to have a significant impact if held near a magnetic compass.
Cheers Jak
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Blimey, so the compass mount is fixed close to a moving handlebar full of steel nuts and various fittings, whats the point in even calibrating it?, itll be out again as soon as you move the bars

Daft
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

On a different note keep an eye on youre brake calipers. 6.5k in and my rear piston has badly seized. I've took the pads off cleaned it up and freed the piston after half an hour. I think maybe the standard pads aren't great so got some ebcs on order to put in next week. Not a massive job but worth checking
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I bought HONDA
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

It is annoying when anything on a new item does not work properly, it destroys your confidence even allowing for the fact that we know that there will always be a percentage of failures in any product range.

If anybody needs a back up compass then one of the many smart phone apps may help, I occasionally use the "OS Locate" on my android mobile phone. I still have my old Silva compass from back in the 70's.

TTFN

Hugh.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Mike Horton wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:14 am On a different note keep an eye on youre brake calipers. 6.5k in and my rear piston has badly seized. I've took the pads off cleaned it up and freed the piston after half an hour. I think maybe the standard pads aren't great so got some ebcs on order to put in next week. Not a massive job but worth checking
The originals have to bad to be worse than a set of EBC pads. I've never had a set of their pads that are worth using when wet, one set of sintered pads were so bad I could ride around with the brake on in the wet and it had little to no effect, my cousin also nearly put me in hospital when his brakes didn't work in the wet with EBC pads on his Triumph.

Steve
akendall1966

Post by akendall1966 »

Slowlycatchymonkey wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:44 pm The guy in the RE dealers said the compass will be fine if you’re away from every object with a magnetic field. I said “so that means it will work properly almost nowhere in the uk?” He laughed and said “yep”
Ignition coil, …… alternator, …… starter motor, ……. starter solenoid, ……. horn must all work by magic on a RE and not use that old fashioned magnetism stuff. :shock:

PS. isn't the 45 degree resolution on par with a satnav that instructs you to turn half-left or half-right?

Return to “TECHNICAL”