Unlimited Mileage Motorcycle Insurance

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
OB1

Unlimited Mileage Motorcycle Insurance

Post by OB1 »

Recently, when renewing my motorcycle insurance, I went from 2 bikes with a combined annual mileage of 12,000 miles (10,000 on the Tiger and 2,000 on the CRF250 Rally) down to just one bike. When the rep on the phone asked me what the mileage would be for just the CRF, I said 12,000 which got him making funny noises and putting me on hold to talk with his supervisor. When I asked what the problem was, he said that they don't do quotes for anything over 10,000 miles per year. "That's funny", I said, as I'd occasionally done more than 12,000 miles and they'd been the company that had insured me for the previous 20 years. "What if a motorcycle was my only form of transport?" I asked, "Many people do more than 10,000 miles a year in a car so why should a bike be any different?" I eventually settled at 10,000 miles but it meant that my premium for a 250 was close to what I was paying for the 800...

The question I have is: what do you do if you ride a lot? Not for work as I'm sure there will be special insurance for couriers and the like. But what do you do if you're a traveller and cover 20,000 miles or more in a year? Where do you get the insurance?

I had a quick Google to see if anything came up but, after scrolling past the usual pay ads, all I could see was black box insurance or limited mileage policies rather and unlimited mileage. Even putting the search term in quotes to narrow the search achieved nothing.

Does anyone know?
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Nigel

Re: Unlimited Mileage Motorcycle Insurance

Post by Nigel »

Currently on 15,000 miles with MCE, same with Hastings before that, never had a problem with mileage!
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

if its for pleasure and domestic how do they know what you've covered?--as far as I know the only record is on the annual MOT and thats iffy--especially if you have a speedo change--just settle on 10k and carry on!!--unless I'm missing something here. You are being asked to look into the future based on your plans at the time--and circumstances change. I guess its related to the fact that the higher the mileage the higher the risk--but in truth the opposite is probably true because you are a safer rider through experience.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Unless you have an accident and they check your mileage! We know that an insurance company wouldn't look for an excuse not to pay out ;)
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Nigel wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:56 pm Currently on 15,000 miles with MCE, same with Hastings before that, never had a problem with mileage!

I suppose that this is what happens when you remain "loyal" to a brand: you don't know what else is out there...
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

That's why I now shop around a month before insurance due, Hastings took the piss with their quote this time around, MCE for a year and see what they come up with?
Pain in the arse having to do it every year but that's the way of insurance nowadays :cry:
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Nigel wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:48 pm That's why I now shop around a month before insurance due, Hastings took the piss with their quote this time around, MCE for a year and see what they come up with?
Pain in the arse having to do it every year but that's the way of insurance nowadays :cry:

That's kind of what keeps me with Carole Nash: about 10 years ago, I sighed up with MCE at the NEC Bike Show because they offered a great deal on the bitsa that I was riding at the time (a 1050 Tiger engine in a T595 Daytona frame with 1050 Speed Triple bodywork). Unfortunately, things went awry when the documents never arrived. I started chasing them and they made excuses... in the end, the experience cost me £50 and I went back to CN and I've been there ever since.
justrtw.com
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

OB1 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:25 pm
Nigel wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:56 pm Currently on 15,000 miles with MCE, same with Hastings before that, never had a problem with mileage!

I suppose that this is what happens when you remain "loyal" to a brand: you don't know what else is out there...

these days `LOYALTY` is punishable by high payments
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

That's interesting, I used to be insured for 25,000 a year as I was commuting to work in London. It was via Devitt, can't remember who the actual insurer was as I never needed to use it.

T'was a few years back, but I'd always assumed you could still be covered for that sort of mileage now....

D

Return to “TRAVEL”