UK/French TET and Garmin CN Mapping

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
SteveR

UK/French TET and Garmin CN Mapping

Post by SteveR »

I know, I know, the Zumo 550 is not really an off road navigation device, but I have found in both Spain and in France, is that the City Navigator (CN) mapping has most of the trails and tracks on it, albeit no confirmation of legality, but what's new!

I like my old Zumo as once the gpx has been converted to a gdb file, it's really nice to navigate from. I used it several times on the HISS in Spain.

Has anyone used one here (or in France) as opposed to a more conventional GPS unit and can confirm if the routes are shown? I know from looking at the route on the PC, the trails I know (in mid Wales) are largely shown on the CN mapping.

I would say, that I do have a Montana and also got Viewranger on a tablet for using gpx files, but the Zumo is a very robust and very clear device and I like it..... so there!!
byewayrider

Re: UK/French TET and Garmin CN Mapping

Post by byewayrider »

Its irrelevant what map you have its a track so loads of waypoints... Or you maybe lucky and convert traxk to route but then it will only navigate by road...

So use the montana... Sure its mentioned on tet forum pages and facebook site loads of times.
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

byewayrider wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:24 am Its irrelevant what map you have its a track so loads of waypoints... Or you maybe lucky and convert traxk to route but then it will only navigate by road...
That is just what I have found in the past with using the Zumo, the route, in all but the the rare exception, was shown on the CN map and was actually there on the ground and is a road! It can be easier to navigate like this, as anyone who uses satnavs will know, than following a track.

What I wanted to know is how many of the trails are shown as a "road"...

I can use the Montana, and for the UK I have OS or OSM mapping, but it's all a bit pokey (old eyes!!) even with bifocal safety glasses :o Now following an OS map on the Zumo, using a route, now THAT is a PITA !!
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

simple if you have both mount both zoom one in for detail keep one zoomed out for the bigger picture both can run the same mapset or different eg CN and open source etc in actuall fact you can have both loaded onto both devices at the same time and swap as needed in the map option both run TET gpx files you'll have music on the zumo and far more settings/options on the montana . Perhaps most important you will have redundancy . I have this exact setup and used it both UK and Euro for trail road track and route incl bits of the TET. You will be well sorted. Are you familiar with OSM maps? If I can help further please ask.
herman

Post by herman »

I have run City Nav on the Montana for trails in France and most were on it with only the occasional trip into nothingness (using a track) Generally I run the Garmin for trails and a Tom Tom for the roads .
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

bikenav wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:13 pm simple if you have both mount both zoom one in for detail keep one zoomed out for the bigger picture both can run the same mapset or different eg CN and open source etc in actuall fact you can have both loaded onto both devices at the same time and swap as needed in the map option both run TET gpx files you'll have music on the zumo and far more settings/options on the montana . Perhaps most important you will have redundancy . I have this exact setup and used it both UK and Euro for trail road track and route incl bits of the TET. You will be well sorted. Are you familiar with OSM maps? If I can help further please ask.
Yep, got OSM mapping on both the PC and on both devices on cards, not as nice to use as pukka mapping like OS or IGN, but very workmanlike thses days. I did contribue to OSM for my area a few years ago when it was first launched...

I do have twin powered ball mounts on my Honda for a setup like you described, but never actually used them together.Nice idea!! I have used a phone with mapping on it once when the satnav failed on me with a bad connection.

I still like a paper map for redundancy, but I am a bit of a fan of paper maps... ;)
SHarper

Post by SHarper »

SteveR wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:29 am.
...I do have twin powered ball mounts...
:shock:
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

SHarper wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:38 am
Sheer envy, hey Steve?? :mrgreen:
SHarper

Post by SHarper »

SteveR wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:29 pm
SHarper wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:38 am
Sheer envy, hey Steve?? :mrgreen:
:shock: <— No, that’s you that is, sat on yer bike, twin powered ball mounts whirring twenty to the dozen...
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

SHarper wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:17 pm
:shock: <— No, that’s you that is, sat on yer bike, twin powered ball mounts whirring twenty to the dozen...
ROFL!! :mrgreen:

Return to “TRAVEL”