W2 Touring Adventure Boots

Does my ass look big in these?
OB1

W2 Touring Adventure Boots

Post by OB1 »

I'm looking for a new pair of boots as my super expensive (well, they were to me) Triumph Adventure boots are falling apart.

I seem to remember W2 boots being quite popular a few years ago so I was wondering if anyone could advise: are they as good as I remember people saying they were? After a few years of use, are they still waterproof?

These are the boots that I'm talking about: https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en ... iewProduct

W2-Touring-Adventure-Waterproof-Boots.jpg
W2-Touring-Adventure-Waterproof-Boots.jpg (27.72 KiB) Viewed 5698 times
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: W2 Touring Adventure Boots

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I think there's 2 versions: Touring and 4 Dirt. IIRC, the standard Touring ones are not suitable for dirt bikes as the footpegs eat the soles. The 4 Dirt is more robust in this area, but still not a full-on off-road boot.

Depends what you want them for.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Thanks, Richard.

I was looking for something that I could use for my trip to Mongolia. It'll probably be 50/50 on/off-road for around 25,000 miles over the course of 6 months. The bike is a Honda CRF250 Rally. That's really the reason why I'm looking for a long-term assessment of the boot.

I don't really want to go down the MX boot route as they are too stiff to walk in for more than 2 minutes (in my experience). On the other hand, I don't want something that'll fall apart within a month of constant use. The W2 Touring Adventure seems to fit what I'm looking for.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
herman

Post by herman »

Not for that length trip I reckon. Mine were waterproof for a while. Very comfy, adequate support but not for off road although I have done that in them. A bit sweaty too which is not something I usually suffer from.....they had to live on a balcony one trip through Austria . The Sidi ones I have now are far superior but obviously spendy. Have a look at the BMW boots they get good reviews ?
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Hmm... food for thought, Herman. A trip like that would indeed make my feet sweat!

My mate, who is doing the trip with me, suggested the Forma Adventure Boot: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... lcQAvD_BwE

forma_boots_adventure_brown.jpg
forma_boots_adventure_brown.jpg (61.4 KiB) Viewed 5651 times
justrtw.com
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Super comfy boots, but waterproofing did not last long at all. Had to bin them after a year.

Now have the Forma Terra boots.
Much better and more robust and these are still waterproof.
There's is now the Forma Terra Evo that may be better.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Thanks, Tim!
justrtw.com
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Wow, that's a long ride.

You are going to have to balance protection, comfort and off-bike mobility.

Frankly, the WK don't look up to any of it...all glue and single-seam stitching. I'd look for something that can be repaired by a local cobbler if needs be: you want double or triple-stitching and no glue.

You might want to go outside the box a bit and have a look at Altberg's Hogg range...they'd be more mobile off the bike.

https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/hogg- ... -original/

But there seems to be no shin protection. You might end up with a broken tib and fib. On the other hand, you probably won't.

I've always had good luck with TCX products; https://www.tcxboots.com/uk_en/products ... nture.html

(Make sure you get 'gripper' rather than 'slipper' soles).

Company was started by former Alpine Stars employees who got the sack when Alpine Stars moved into the low-quality, high-price fashion market and outsourced production to China.

https://www.tcxboots.com/uk_en/products ... nture.html

TCX originally called themselves Oxtar and were sued by Alpine Star for trademark infringements...which gives you an idea of the relative merits of the two brands.

I wore some original Alpine Star MX boots on the one long on-off road trip I did (3 weeks to and around Morocco). They are (still got them, they are 30 years old) as strong as iron and probably saved my legs more times than I can count, but they did strange things to my feet. I started to get blisters, not friction blisters, but in random places on my soles, which itched like crazy. I think they were caused by heat and thick socks...for the next 20 years, they came back whenever my feet got hot.
On non-biking days I wore a very simple pair of South African made desert boots...completely unlined and very cool (not in the fashion sense), which gave some relief.
MudFing

Post by MudFing »

OB1 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:11 pm Hmm... food for thought, Herman. A trip like that would indeed make my feet sweat!

My mate, who is doing the trip with me, suggested the Forma Adventure Boot: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... lcQAvD_BwE

I did almost 30,000 miles in a set of these, India, Alaska, Asia, Iceland etc - Now 8 years old and I still use them as my trail riding boots, missing a buckle but I love them, best £150 ish I've ever spent.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

I've plenty to choose from now, thanks to Richard! I really like the look of the TCX Baja Gore-Tex but they're way up there with the price :shock: You get what you pay for, I suppose. Considering I've just shelled out nearly £500 for a set of Kriega OS soft bags, I shouldn't really complain about a £300 boot!

Thanks, MudFing. Having a Forma dealer within 30 miles (The Adventure Bike Shop) does help and push me towards these boots and knowing that you have had such good use from them bolsters the choice.
justrtw.com

Return to “CLOTHING”