EDC Day Ride to Piau-Engaly, Ski Station, Aragnouet, French Pyrénées.

Where you've been and what you done
WIBO

EDC Day Ride to Piau-Engaly, Ski Station, Aragnouet, French Pyrénées.

Post by WIBO »

After hearing the brrraaaapppppp and seeing groups of motos riding past my house a Saturday ride was decided upon as the weather was to close in the following day.

I put my kit on and warmed the Black Pig up. I decided where to go as I zoomed out and in on my GPS. I had to return for 1900hrs as I was invited to a BBQ, so I decided on a dead end ride that would be scenic, full of twisties and handy to share if anyone was anchored down in the region on holiday and wanted a day ride.

You'll parallel the Pyrènées for a bit before turning to ride to them.

Pic du Midi can be seen.

I'd head to Piau-Engaly ski station for a picnic lunch and to perve at female skiers. The route that your GPS would map would take you over Col d'Aspin to Arreau and on to the station. IMO there's a more scenic route to ride with the same end result.

Instead of riding straight on to Col d'Aspin take a right turn onto the D113.

You'll ride along a grass plain by way of good surface single vehicle tarmac in the direction of some high peaks. There's plenty of forward vision so you can tramp on not too bad. Later after some twisties there'll be long straights.

Arrive at the pass and take in the scenery.

Still snow on the shaded side of the mountain, but only for short distance until the sun hits the road later.

You'll drop down to a village called Guchen before heading to St Lary Soulan.

There's supermarket fuel in St Lary Soulan before you enter the town on the RHS. Sandwiches etc can be bought for the picnic.

Head on through the town in the direction of the Bielsa Tunnel into Spain. Just before climbing to same you'll be taking a right at a junction you can not miss.

You'll see an ancient 12th century chapel to your RHS so slow up for the right hand turn, which of couse is signposted for Piau-Engaly.

If you wish you can ride down the stone lane to the chapel, park up and check the chapel.

Some great, fluid twisties to ride up on with wide bends.

Ride down to the furthest car park, park moto up and dander across to where the snow piste ends...skiers finish here and take the bus back up to ski again.........sit down and have lunch and a perve. There are toilets here also for info.

When riding back on myself I see, opposite the junction I referred to earlier, this memorial placed just back from the verge. I've never seen it as I've always missed it because I'd be riding past it.

Research shows that there was a route for any escaped prisoners during WW2 to get into Spain over the mountains via the odd treacherous route and on to Gibraltar and thereafter re-join the allies.

To head back home I'll ride to Arreau. The GPS will map you to come back over Col d'Aspin to Bagnères de Bigoree but for a change I'll ride around Aspin to get to there via 1001 twisties.

A stop in Arreau to buy a bottle of red for that nights BBQ. Very old and pretty village.

When you leave Arreau you'll head for the round-a-bout a short distance after Heche. You'll take a left turn and head up into twisties...a zoom in on Google Earth will give you an idea.

Once around Aspin you can pick up the normal route to return from whence you came.

Last edited by WIBO on Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?
dibbs

Re: EDC Day Ride to Piau-Engaly, Ski Station, Aragnouet, French Pyrénées;

Post by dibbs »

Brilliant rr as usual Wibo. You are living the dream..... :D
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

WIBO wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:52 pm

Nice day out that.

No wonder you look so pleased in that last photo!

:D

Griff097

Post by Griff097 »

Looks like a great day out Keith if a bit chilly looking still, have to join you for a wizz over that way in a bit :)

Might be able to ride on the road in a few months.
WIBO

Re: EDC Day Ride to Piau-Engaly, Ski Station, Aragnouet, French Pyrénées.

Post by WIBO »

By all means.....some great roads for a good snort!!!

:D

Will It Buff Out?
Tonibe63

Re: EDC Day Ride to Piau-Engaly, Ski Station, Aragnouet, French Pyrénées.

Post by Tonibe63 »

Cracking ride report and photo's as always 8-) .
We've spent a bit of time in that area over the last few years, it's great to have so much within a short distance and an ideal bike.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”