Has anyone on here ever bypassed a Meta alarm?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
daveuprite

Has anyone on here ever bypassed a Meta alarm?

Post by daveuprite »

My TL1000S has a Meta 357 alarm fitted. I detest bike alarms. Like most Meta alarms it has gone wrong. Something to do with Meta alarms being the crappiest things in the world and the spawn of the devil. According to Abacus Alarms the lithium internal battery in the alarm unit dies after about 10 years and leaves you stranded. Mine was fitted by some poor fool in 2002 as part of a drunken bet with people who didn't like him.

Anyway, I now have a fully charged bike all ready to ride except that it's immobilised itself. I've changed the slimline watch batteries in the key fob, had the rear of the bike all apart and found that the Meta unit is hard-wired into about 7 miles of complicated wiring which I am going nowhere near.

So Abacus is sending me a 'Bypass Plug which will plug into the 18 pin connector and apparently fool the bike into thinking that the entire Meta has been removed. £45.

Has anyone else done this before? Did it work? I need reassurance and perhaps some anti-depressants...
Billy Bananahead

Re: Has anyone on here ever bypassed a Meta alarm?

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Not personally Dave, but have you searched online? Here's one vid I found if it helps.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Thanks Banana - v helpful.

Yep I've searched around a fair bit and come to the conclusion that an electrical epsilon like me should not go near large clumps of wiring, so the simple bypass plug idea is very appealing. Besides some crazy person might one day want to buy a new alarm unit for the bike and reinstate it, in which case all the wiring would still be in place.
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

I did disconnect the meta alarm on my Ducati dave , it involved a lot of head scratching and a spiders web of wiring but I got it sorted in the end , the alarm had been spliced into the loom and it really was a case of tracing each wire back from the alarm loom and reconnecting the original wires , good luck with your bypass :D
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I had one fitted to a motorhome cost me £1000, and took 5 hrs... Damn thing was reliable and had microwave sensor zones so you could is isolate stuff and still have alarm on...

BOB is right they splice into main loom only fitters have the wiring diagrams... Alk depends whats alarmed lol... Dowt a tl1000 is worth much ha ha...
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Tramp wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:57 pm I had one fitted to a motorhome cost me £1000, and took 5 hrs... Damn thing was reliable and had microwave sensor zones so you could is isolate stuff and still have alarm on...

BOB is right they splice into main loom only fitters have the wiring diagrams... Alk depends whats alarmed lol... Dowt a tl1000 is worth much ha ha...
Yeah, don't suppose many peeps would want to nick it these days. 'Future Classic Hooligan Bike' say the mags, but who knows. Anyway I've had my fun with it and it's time to make some room in the workshop. Assuming this butt plug thing works...
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

They do sound nice those tl100 with a good set of cans on :D , on a different subject Dave what date were you doing your Pyrenees meet ?
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Hey up dave.....whats going on, is the TL finally coming out of hibernation this year ? :D
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

When mine went kaput on my ZX7R I bought another loom and swapped them over

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

chunky butt wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:09 pm Hey up dave.....whats going on, is the TL finally coming out of hibernation this year ? :D
Yeah, she's spent too long in there with just the mice for company. My mate John from Preston is going to take her up there, back where she came from.

She will have a bit of a sudden resurrection though. I'm getting her ready to roll. He's flying in to Limoges airport on May 4th (arriving 14.45 and riding her to Caen the same evening and has to be on the ferry to Portsmouth by 2200. I'm not sure he can do it in the time. The TL is still geared for mega-wheelies and drinks through a tank of fuel every hour on full chat. He'll need to pin it all the way. I will have the TL fuelled and ready, he will emerge from the airport terminal, change into leathers and jump aboard... We used to ride in the same Endurance team so it'll be like one of our old Le Mans starts - Nuts! :lol:

Oh well, that's the life that bike has always had. Crazy high-speed tours around the Alps and Spain, trackdays at several circuits and thrashed around the Nurburgring. It has never 'pootled' anywhere in its life.
Last edited by daveuprite on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TECHNICAL”