Bizarre situation with Bennetts!

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
PaulinBont

Bizarre situation with Bennetts!

Post by PaulinBont »

Postman delivered a letter asking me to contact Bennetts Customer Services about my policy. First reflex was put the kettle on and make a brew before feet up and ringing them.

Apparently their rep , during the renewal conversation did not read all the terms, conditions and endorsements out to me so that was the next precious 20 minutes of my finite life wasted!

So, I have to keep the bikes locked up in the garage overnight; fair enough!

The next endorsement confused and bewildered me ( and him as well) :

The Honda can be left on my patio to dry in the sun after washing and if stolen, is covered BUT the GS will have the excess doubled if stolen within 500 metres of my address if not kept locked away securely in said garage; so I wash both bikes on the drive but the GS has to be put away immediately whilst wet but the CB500X can be left to dry in the sun outside my kitchen window!

He was perplexed as well, especially as he couldn't amend the policy to bring the GS up to the Honda's cover.
Bewildering! I asked him to clarify what happens if I'm at my local Tesco around the corner and disaster strikes.....computer says if less than 500........
bill_qaz

Re: Bizarre situation with Bennetts!

Post by bill_qaz »

Does it not specify a time such as after midnight as well as the distance?
Found in small print in mine if stolen away from home and did not have additional lock to compliment steering lock then its uninsured for theft. Just had the car insurance broker saying they could not quote for renewal and could not give a reason, insured elsewhere no issues. The original broker then sent a 2nd letter asking if I would like to renew
It's a minefield :o :shock:
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Stipulated that between 2359 and 0600hrs the bikes must be locked in the garage and if stolen less than 500 metres from my address at any time blah blah blah after which point I lost the will to live
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

To stop any silliness like that I only say that the bike is kept off road overnight, so I'm insured even if I put my bike in the garage, or don't.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I did get fed up with the silliness tbh, asked if midnight was 2400 or 0000 to clarify things for me
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

it seems that bikes are now only insured for theft when you are actually riding them :shock: :( :lol:

... I hope I am wrong :|

EDIT … seems you are not allowed to ride your bike after midnight till six am ???? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: ffs
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

The magic words should include. “...on a journey....”. Which means your Tesco trip ought to be covered but left at your next door neighbours house overnight wouldn’t be.

I have changed to RH for the Street Twin and theirs is just an overnight rule. Bikesure were at any time, like your GS.
Apparently I couldn’t amend on renewal to parked in the drive as I had previously declared the garage. What a load of borrox.
I’ll move the Trophy and Husky at their renewals.

I’m lucky enough to never have to park the bike in the front of the house but there are times when at least one bike has to be out of the back garden garage to do other diy stuff inside.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

garyboy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:21 pm it seems that bikes are now only insured for theft when you are actually riding them :shock: :( :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

There's a crazy rule in France that forces you to insure ANY vehicle, even if it never goes on the road and even if you say that you don't want to insure it. We have a farm quad that isn't road registered and has never ever left our land. I use it to tow a trailer out to the fields and fix fencing etc. I am supposed to insure it, but I leave it somewhere fairly safe and I'm happy to take the risk. Similarly I have had thousands of euros worth of unregistered race/track bikes on site waiting for me to do them up for sale. I didn't want to insure them. All of them were sold within a month or so of my buying them and never used on a road. Some of them were taken by van to race tracks, used, and then returned to my workshop, where they were covered up and chained up. I was content to risk a break in. By law I should have declared and insured the lot of them at great expense. Well sod that. The insurance companies would almost certainly have wriggled out of any claim anyway because they are nasty, profiteering, opportunist, slimy bastar*s. Is that ranty enough? I could do more if you want...
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

. Is that ranty enough? I could do more if you want...
[/quote]

More rant in French please words may come in usefull at a later date.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

daveuprite wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:20 pm
garyboy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:21 pm it seems that bikes are now only insured for theft when you are actually riding them :shock: :( :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

There's a crazy rule in France that forces you to insure ANY vehicle, even if it never goes on the road and even if you say that you don't want to insure it. We have a farm quad that isn't road registered and has never ever left our land. I use it to tow a trailer out to the fields and fix fencing etc. I am supposed to insure it, but I leave it somewhere fairly safe and I'm happy to take the risk. Similarly I have had thousands of euros worth of unregistered race/track bikes on site waiting for me to do them up for sale. I didn't want to insure them. All of them were sold within a month or so of my buying them and never used on a road. Some of them were taken by van to race tracks, used, and then returned to my workshop, where they were covered up and chained up. I was content to risk a break in. By law I should have declared and insured the lot of them at great expense. Well sod that. The insurance companies would almost certainly have wriggled out of any claim anyway because they are nasty, profiteering, opportunist, slimy bastar*s. Is that ranty enough? I could do more if you want...
9/10 :D
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “THE PUB”