The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

The Things We Ride
Mike Horton

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

Post by Mike Horton »

Jak, no sorry I'm due a new rear v soon, I was looking a t the shinko 705 more road biased
Kiwiscoot

Post by Kiwiscoot »

have you had a look at the Motoz Tractionator GPS. I like what I see. Still at 8000kms still on the OEM MT60's but will consider them at change time.

Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Have to give a thumbs up to Mich Anakee Wild (run tubeless).
Rode 150 miles on a flat yesterday and ready for more.
Looks like it will last as long as similar softer TKCs and certainly Mitas Rock Riders..
Found the bike's limits up a sandy creek – butI got very stuck there on a WR-R too, 2 years back.

Jak*

Post by Jak* »

The K60s did fit, although there is not much clearance. Just collected the bike from its service, they reckon the steering head bearings need changing, I had put the slight weave down to the Pirelli’s. What is a little bit annoying is that, given that apart from the misting of the clocks, head bearings seem to be the most common warranty claim, they do not carry a set in stock. Apparently they have to wait for Enfield to send them a set, I would imagine it would be far quicker to order them from a local bearing factor.
The dealer said that they had already sold half a dozen Interceptors with several more on back order. The do look great in the metal.
Cheers Jak
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

Yes, i went to look at a Himslayan and came out with an Interceptor!
jonesey

Post by jonesey »

Mine lives outdoors and has never had any condensation in the instruments; I don't know if that makes a difference...…..I have got knackered head bearings though, started to feel wrong by about 9000mls. Hopefully all these warranty claims will result in the lads on the production line getting a bit more grease into the bloody bearings! Other than that she's been totally reliable approaching 10000mls.
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

I've not had the head bearing issue yet but it's due its 6.5k service v soon I will ask them to check that it's fine after hearing a few have had issues
jonesey

Post by jonesey »

Well worth doing that I'd say, partially seized steering is no fun...….luckily the inherent stability and low CofG of the Himalayan help avoid catastrophe in that situation!
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Spotted another white Him on the Atlantic Highway today, way south of Tan Tan.
We must be the only 2 in North Africa.

Knowing the weak point, got my head bearings regressed before I left.
They have taken a beating, with more to come, and feel normal.
In fact that whole bike feels fine after the hammering it's had - as good as any Jap bike I've run out here.
Not a thing's come loose that I can tell.
What a machine!

There's now a RE forum too.
US-based but will be a much better way to easily access useful content: https://www.royalenfieldowners.com/index.php

Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I cleaned and regressed my bearings last night which has made a big difference. They do look like they need replacing as there is some discolouration on the rollers, it looks like they have got wet at some point. They were really well greased with a heavy white grease and felt over tightened, some of the grease had picke up some brown (rust) colouring. The bearings are Indian SKF and do not look as good quality as the usual SKF you get over here. The numbers on them are 30205/Q and T1 13 084P. I think when the dealers get round to replacing them I may buy my own if they are going to put Indian ones back in.
Whilst I was doing the bearings I noticed that the steel tubes inside the forks, which preload the springs had gone rusty so I cleaned them up as well.
Cheers Jak

Return to “BIKES”