New Member Joined With A Question In Mind

Bikers and riding
jakec

New Member Joined With A Question In Mind

Post by jakec »

Hi,

I'm a vintage Honda enthusiast, I've owned a few and been riding for about 17 years. I got my PW80 at age 7. I really love riding, and I enjoy long rides. I like to take 50-ish mile rides on the weekends and I would do more if I had time. I'm planning one big trip this summer (3 nights, 150 miles/day) and I would like to do more if I can.

My bike is a 1975 CB400F which is actually in boxes right now, so I am on my dad's 1970 CL350 right now and currently in the market for another bike so I can give my dad his bike back. I love these old bikes and I do all the work myself. Anyways I figured I would fit in here even though I am probably a noob compared to you guys, and you might not even like old bikes. But I figured it would be a great place to get advice.

One specific question I had in mind when joining this forum is regarding carrying a surfboard on your bike. I have seen many photos online of bikes set up with boards. And there are many products out there for it. I even found one that I believe will fit most old Hondas without modification. However I'm curious if this is even safe? I'm curious if anyone here has done it. I mocked up a photo of my board/bike in comparison (to scale). My surf spot is a 4 hour drive. I would love to go by bike. Image
Agg(Skinny)

Re: New Member Joined With A Question In Mind

Post by Agg(Skinny) »

I would watch out for side winds :o
tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

Please have someone video it from behind. You'll make thousands selling the video.

If you remember riding your bike in sidewinds and how tricky it can be to control, imagine putting a huge sail on the side that the wind can't pass through.

You may be able to control it if the wind is not gusting, but those moments when it's windy and you pass a gateway, you're going to get blown across the road.

Some things may seem like a good idea, but imagine explaining to the police/doctors/other casualties, that you just fancied the idea of riding your bike with a surfboard attached and think what response they may give.

Not worth it in my opinion, but then again, I've never been a 'dude'. Just a miserable git! :)
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

April fool me thinks :lol:
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

If you were to make brackets so that the board could mount overhead, a bit like a car roof rack but extended in height you wouldn’t be so at risk from side winds. Also,a further benefit would be shelter from the rain.
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

I think from all points of view, its too risky.
I used to a bit of cycling and there was this guy who used to turn up for the racing with his bike mounted on a metal frame mounted on his motorbike.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I though April Fools as well
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Haha, April fools or not, I've done it!
Fairly sure that's a long board in the pic which would be very unwieldy.
Mine was a shorty that tbh took more skill to use than I possessed but that didn't stop me trying.
I only lived 15 mins from the beach. Riding past, (on a twin shock DT 175) saw the surf was perfect so rode home. Unfortunately my Dad was, selfishly, using his van that I usually borrowed.
Not wanting to miss out on a good wave I put a couple of straps round the board and another between them and over my shoulder.
What could possibly go wrong?!?
Unsurprisingly I DID fall off, but not cos of the board.
My towel had come out of my bag, got caught in my spokes/rear sprocket and locked the back wheel!
Despite making it to the beach eventually, I never tried it again... A peak stupid idea.
Toe

Post by Toe »

When I was in Bali I rode with a surfboard and saw loads of others doing it too, mainly around the very south going to Uluwatu/Suluban. Try and rent one in that area and it's harder to find one without the setup!
Admittedly this is with scooters and not bikes.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
jakec

Post by jakec »

Toe, how did it feel? A longboard plus rack would most likely only weigh about 40 lbs. together. The boards in your photos would offer less wind resistance than my longboard, though.

Thanks for the responses. I agree with most that it seems dangerous due mainly to wind. Even a quarterly wind seems like it could take you by surprise. But who knows. That's why I'm hoping for someone with real experience can weigh in. I've seen MANY pics out there with a shortboard, like 6'. And those types of racks are shown used mainly on bicycles and scooters. However I have seen photos (both glamour shots for instagram and product photos on manufacturer websites) showing a rack applied with a longboard.

This is probably the most famous image out there right now. This guy custom made his rack but this is obviously a "hipster" bike and who knows how far it was ever ridden. But this is what initially gave me the idea. Image

Here's another common image that's maybe more in your guys' vein. Image

Here is the product I've found which looks easily adapted to a motorcycle with tubular frame. https://carverracks.com/csr-small-block ... LAEALw_wcB

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”