French speeding fine - time limit??

Bikers and riding
chunky butt

Re: French speeding fine - time limit??

Post by chunky butt »

Dave.....39kmh :o optimal speed to keep your licence, but gain points.....according to our thomas :roll:
herman

Post by herman »

Dave I am guessing you only actually need your license if you are stopped by the police.....as we were a couple of weeks ago.....probably could not believe how slow we were going on the dirt bikes, in which case you just refer them to the Nantes mess?
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Im asuming the french resident uk expats who have a uk licence still have uk address on them?..wrong i know bug jyst apply for a replacement uk one then send one off and use other...

Its quite regularly done with long distance out of europe trips incase the custom henchmen keep it when they have a hissy fit..
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Hah, already tried that many moons ago, dvla wrote back saying you know longer live at that address your a resident of France....wtf.....how did big bruv know :(
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

byewayrider wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:56 am Im asuming the french resident uk expats who have a uk licence still have uk address on them?..wrong i know bug jyst apply for a replacement uk one then send one off and use other...
Nice idea. Don't think we haven't already thought of that! As Steve says, many have given it a go and I do know of one who succeeded (probably a friday afternoon in Swansea), but you are explicitly told on the DVLA site that seeking a 'replacement for lost licence' as an overseas resident is a serious offence, big fine etc etc.

Besides the real issue is that since brexit we are being required to change to a french licence and most of us don't care about that. So it's not about preserving access to a UK licence. I just need a document giving me permission to drive - I don't mind if it's british, french or hungarian. But if the UK leaves then it needs to be an EU member country licence.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

herman wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:33 am Dave I am guessing you only actually need your license if you are stopped by the police.....as we were a couple of weeks ago.....probably could not believe how slow we were going on the dirt bikes, in which case you just refer them to the Nantes mess?
Yeah, think so Alan. Most peeps on the RIFT forum (Remain In France Together) are saying that the gendarmes will be happy with a current UK driving licence accompanied by some proof that you have made an application to Nantes. They will know all about the delays in Nantes.

Problem is that Nantes is now not processing any applications sent to them since December last year, apparently. We sent ours in October. We haven't had our licences issued yet. Other people have been waiting over 9 months.
herman

Post by herman »

Could be worse you could be dealing with the Belgians who are legends in such matters.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

herman wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:14 pm Could be worse you could be dealing with the Belgians who are legends in such matters.
I didn't know they had a reputation.

However, they make bloody superb chocolate (oh and excellent beer) - and for that they can be forgiven almost anything else IMO.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”