The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

The Things We Ride
Bojer

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

Post by Bojer »

Mine has only misted up in direct sun , as did my XT660Z and HD , even then only very slightly . If it does it more I'll go for the vent holes solution , maybe with a rubber grommet to stop rain water getting in easily .
I'd like to think you are no less likely to complete a journey on the HImalayan than any other bike but you are going to find more foibles than on a Honda without doubt . For me the choice was the Honda Rally or the Himalayan - I'd make the same choice again .
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

Kiwiscoot wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:41 pm Strange I've never had the clocks misting up and I've had it in pretty heavy rain for hours. I plugged up where the harnass plug into the back of instrument cluster pretty much from day one. I've only had mine from November, so our summer without very low temperatures. Will be interesting to see if it's a temperature thing or just water getting in at the harness plug. Our temperatures are dropping too, so will see if it's a temperature issue. So far tho plugging the hole at the back of the instruments have worked for me.
Mine were worse in the direct sunshine this picture was in an average day but got progressively worse. I think holes in the back with maybe a fine mesh to stop any nasties getting in may work???
Attachments
IMG_20190215_162346.jpg
IMG_20190215_162346.jpg (89.79 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
Kiwiscoot

Post by Kiwiscoot »

My that's bad!! :( Might be the seal at the top of the intrument cluster letting water in. A little silicone sealer rubbed into the joint between the front and back covers might help. Worth a shot. Wonder how the instrument lenses seal?
Holes in the back would not be wise as the wind will drive water in. Small 1-2mm holes at the bottom should do it I would think. I plugged the connector at the back of the cluster with Blue Tac which gives a weather proof seal but not waterproof. Idea being that some air should get thru.
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

Yes think ur right about the positioning and air needs to get I to stop the misting. I've got new clocks on but within 2 hours of it being sat I the sun it's started misting slightly. That was how it started with the 1st set. The bikes garaged and clocks covered for cleaning as per the handbook. They must be put together in a damp atmosphere or something. I found they are fine if cold or hot weather but it's when it transitions from one to the other. I would imagine our fine British weather does make it worse
Chris S

humidity

Post by Chris S »

It’s got to be condensation, not leakage. If the second set are misting it’s as likely to be your conditions as the clocks, Mike. Have you thought of running a dehumidifier in your garage?

Mine has only ever been parked on the street through mid-winter, under a cheap Oxford cover.
A tiny bit of condensation on one clock. Disappeared when I picked did up in southern Spain.

I can't see these clocks being hermetically sealed, but if they are, partly disassemble and stick a hair dryer in. That will purge any Indian humidity.
Petethefeet

Post by Petethefeet »

Hi All,
I have not got a REH but has anyone tried a breathable vent or material over a drilled hole after drying it out inside??

http://www.dupont.co.uk/products-and-se ... brane.html

https://www.gore.com/products/categories/venting

Just a thought
XT350 1988
Triumph Thunderbird 1957
Mike Horton

Re: humidity

Post by Mike Horton »

Chris S wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:34 am It’s got to be condensation, not leakage. If the second set are misting it’s as likely to be your conditions as the clocks, Mike. Have you thought of running a dehumidifier in your garage?

Mine has only ever been parked on the street through mid-winter, under a cheap Oxford cover.
A tiny bit of condensation on one clock. Disappeared when I picked did up in southern Spain.

I can't see these clocks being hermetically sealed, but if they are, partly disassemble and stick a hair dryer in. That will purge any Indian humidity.
Yes strange you say that I've got a dehumidifier. But the second set have been fitted and it's not been in the garage since. It's baffling
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

Petethefeet wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:57 am Hi All,
I have not got a REH but has anyone tried a breathable vent or material over a drilled hole after drying it out inside??

http://www.dupont.co.uk/products-and-se ... brane.html

https://www.gore.com/products/categories/venting

Just a thought
Defo some mileage in something like this Pete
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

It's baffling
In that case I can only suggest a licensed Vedic exorcism ;--))
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Has anyone fitted Heidenau K60s on a Himalayan yet? I had a front in the right size which I never fitted to my CCM and ordered a rear 120/90 17. Having put them up against the bike it does not look like there is going to be much room between the front tyre and the mudguard and the rear tyre and the swing arm. I have ordered some risers for the front.
Cheers Jak

Return to “BIKES”