ollydog

Prostate

Post by ollydog »

Has anyone had or being treated for Prostate Cancer at the moment

Steve
Zookman

Re: Prostate

Post by Zookman »

My old man had prostate cancer. Had radiotherapy for it, which apparently is the easiest option over chemo & surgery. He beat it anyway and the cancer hadn't spread. Had to have check ups for cancer cells over the next couple of years, but he was ok. Although it did cause a few probs with his waterworks i remember him saying.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Fortunately no but get checked out lads; I find that a finger up the bum is a lot less painful than dying of prostate cancer. I get checked out regularly due to a high PSA test....it's not even painful, more embarrassing really but as my doc says, men pay good money for this in Bunnies Health Spa :)
Last edited by PaulinBont on Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
clutchspring

Post by clutchspring »

I to advise any body to get checked out & don't be shy .
I got checked out end of last year due to having one of the main symptoms my doctor gave me the examination there & then followed up with a blood test , glad to say all was OK .

Ian.
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

I most certainly have .
My dad died of it in 1978. It seems to run in families, so when I was off sick in about 2003 my Mrs and my Mum pestered me to go and get checked out as I " had some time" .....Oh OK then. My PSA was high, and a DRE ( no not a rap singer) showed a nodule , not a great sign apparently.
So off I went for a biopsy, very worrying waiting for the result, huge relief when it came back OK. '"Come back and get PSA tested every six months".
"Yeah OK. " I dropped out after 18 months maybe 2 years.
Move on to 2013 ( so like 10 years)
Just finished clearing out my Mums house , she has gone into care.
Bit of time to myself.
OK, maybe have another PSA.
Wow! Thats gone up quite a lot in 10 years.!
Another biopsy .
Ominous letter arrives.
See Consultant "Yes, You have prostate cancer, but we're not going to do anything , but keep an eye on it" Active surveilance. ( as opposed to watching and waiting, which is a different route).
After 2 years and several biopsies. " It's got quite a bit bigger , we'd like to take it out". ( so this is an option, a choice , not an emergency)
So I had robotic surgery nearly 4 years ago now and everything is fine.
I had my surgery in May 2015, 1 week after the Taffy Dakar. I was well enough to go on the Paddy Dakar in September .
Treatment :
Active surveilance / watching and waiting. Do nothing.
If it's "within the envelope" ( contained within the prostate) then surgery. ( Robot now )
If it's spread outside the envelope, then Radio theraphy/ Brachiotherapy/ Chemo as appropriate.

To put it in perspective I had it, the woman who cuts my hair's Dad had it, One of my customers had it , The bloke who was shagging my Ex Mrs after I left had it . The guy who hosts my website had it, the boss on the building site I was on in 1985 had it, and the carpenter. My cousin , my Uncle, the treasurer at the bike club and the electrician in the village. Theres a lot of it about, and it is treatable.
The charity website has a lot of information.

If you want to send me a PM please do.
Last edited by steve the grease on Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

PaulinBont wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:11 pm Fortunately no but get checked out lads; I find that a finger up the bum is a lot less painful than dying of prostate cancer. I get checked out regularly due to a high PSA test....it's not even painful, more embarrassing really but as my doc says, men pay good money for this in Bunnies Health Spa :)
There was a time in my life when I couldn't walk past a doctor , but he would put a rubber glove on. Who cares.
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

You've persuaded me. Got to see the doc in mid April for routine bloods etc. I'll have a shower before I go and brace myself. :o
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Hope not but I had a slightly high PSA reading about 18 months ago.
Had an ultrasound scan then an MRI but nothing found so now on 4 monthly blood tests and all seems stable so far. 🤞
Finger poke not funny but over with quickly.
My consultant was a miserable bu**er who didn’t listen to anything I said.
My doctor wasn’t keen on a biopsy if it wasn’t necessary but the consultant kicked up a fuss but I still refused. I think he was only ticking boxes for his ratings.

I had a bowel camera a few years ago before we found a mozarella intolerance. Two lovely young ladies doing the dirty deed, which was almost worse than the camera poking where the sun doesn’t shine but Interesting to watch it on the screen while it was running though.

Hope you don’t have problems but don’t put anything off. It isn’t worth the risk.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

The doctor was reluctant to let me have the PSE test last year but eventually allowed me to have it as I was undergoing other routine tests anyway. Be aware the PSE test is far from accurate
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

steve the grease wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:48 pm I most certainly have .
My dad died of it in 1978. It seems to run in families, so when I was off sick in about 2003 my Mrs and my Mum pestered me to go and get checked out as I " had some time" .....Oh OK then. My PSA was high, and a DRE ( no not a rap singer) showed a nodule , not a great sign apparently.
So off I went for a biopsy, very worrying waiting for the result, huge relief when it came back OK. '"Come back and get PSA tested every six months".
"Yeah OK. " I dropped out after 18 months maybe 2 years.
Move on to 2013 ( so like 10 years)
Just finished clearing out my Mums house , she has gone into care.
Bit of time to myself.
OK, maybe have another PSA.
Wow! Thats gone up quite a lot in 10 years.!
Another biopsy .
Ominous letter arrives.
See Consultant "Yes, You have prostate cancer, but we're not going to do anything , but keep an eye on it" Active surveilance. ( as opposed to watching and waiting, which is a different route).
After 2 years and several biopsies. " It's got quite a bit bigger , we'd like to take it out". ( so this is an option, a choice , not an emergency)
So I had robotic surgery nearly 4 years ago now and everything is fine.
I had my surgery in May 2015, 1 week after the Taffy Dakar. I was well enough to go on the Paddy Dakar in September .
Treatment :
Active surveilance / watching and waiting. Do nothing.
If it's "within the envelope" ( contained within the prostate) then surgery. ( Robot now )
If it's spread outside the envelope, then Radio theraphy/ Brachiotherapy/ Chemo as appropriate.

To put it in perspective I had it, the woman who cuts my hair's Dad had it, One of my customers had it , The bloke who was shagging my Ex Mrs after I left had it . The guy who hosts my website had it, the boss on the building site I was on in 1985 had it, and the carpenter. My cousin , my Uncle, the treasurer at the bike club and the electrician in the village. Theres a lot of it about, and it is treatable.
The charity website has a lot of information.

Thanks Steve

Having the first of my tests this morning, my PSA was very low but they found blood in a pee check, my prostrate is hard on one side and not symmetrical.

I have to insist on the test as 2 doctors did not want to do it, 30 seconds it took with almost zero discomfort ( no comments or i know where most of you lot live)

Had loads of blood tests 18months ago because i also have very (had) high iron content which can be serious but they did not pick this up so hopefully is nothing or really early.

But as greasy steve says get it done NOW and i don't normally use capitals as you know.

Steve

If you want to send me a PM please do.

Return to “THE PUB”