idc or international driving permit info

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
byewayrider

idc or international driving permit info

Post by byewayrider »

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/internatio ... ing-permit

Im off to get one as in a easter rush they may run out :lol:

What is more worrying is that typically in the past, yes im old enough :o that greencard only gave gave minimum cover ...ive not found info saying uk fullycomp = europe fully comp..

Anyone got concrete info from their insurance company...in writing so if it goes pete tong we can sue them :o
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Tramp

Re: idc or international driving permit info

Post by Tramp »

This is even scarier :evil: ..

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to- ... lsrc=aw.ds

So no mib cover....we need to chase and recover costs in their language......

Its a 2 way street so the foreign vehicles on uk roads will be in same boat......makes you think eh and ivd used mib before in Slovenia took 18 mnths ti settlement..
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

byewayrider wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:07 pm https://www.postoffice.co.uk/internatio ... ing-permit

Im off to get one as in a easter rush they may run out :lol:

What is more worrying is that typically in the past, yes im old enough :o that greencard only gave gave minimum cover ...ive not found info saying uk fullycomp = europe fully comp..

Anyone got concrete info from their insurance company...in writing so if it goes pete tong we can sue them :o
CN normally extend fully comp into Europe--but who knows with Brokit?
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Tramp wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:19 pm This is even scarier :evil: ..

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to- ... lsrc=aw.ds

So no mib cover....we need to chase and recover costs in their language......

Its a 2 way street so the foreign vehicles on uk roads will be in same boat......makes you think eh and I've used mib before in Slovenia took 18 mnths ti settlement..
It'll be alright JRM will come galloping to the rescue with his ERG mates.... :o

Heard a piece on the radio yesterday on this and the Insurers seemed to be less than helpful on this whole matter, with little info available as yet. Some talk of extending FC cover abroad for additional premiums I think, although as you say, it'll probably be down to the individual to pursue claims.

More Brexit joy.....
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

If I read the info on the post office site correctly in order to go to Portugal, I will need two IDPs. A 1968 one that covers France and Portugal and a 1949 one that covers Spain. So an extra £11 plus photos etc. My insurance company have sent an email saying I may need a green card. All of this is assuming we leave with no deal. If not I might not need any of this. Can you imagine if you were faced with this on a much larger scale, say running a freight business.
What a fiasco.
Cheers Jak
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Jak* wrote:If I read the info on the post office site correctly in order to go to Portugal, I will need two IDPs. A 1968 one that covers France and Portugal and a 1949 one that covers Spain. So an extra £11 plus photos etc. My insurance company have sent an email saying I may need a green card. All of this is assuming we leave with no deal. If not I might not need any of this. Can you imagine if you were faced with this on a much larger scale, say running a freight business.
What a fiasco.
Cheers Jak
Brexit was about 'taking back control'

Al it's doing is increasing costs for me and you
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

I read that portugal was keeping tourist visit restriction vusa etc same as they are now even after brexit if it happens...they realised they need uk buisness...sure spain was same too...aas im traveling during the period of uncetanty getting one before i leave is common sence as id not bd able to get one if needed when away...the cost is nithing more than a bottle of wine :lol: ..

The insurance thing is mord a worry as if we as uk citizens loose mib protection we are screwed,
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

johnnyboxer wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:42 pm
Jak* wrote:If I read the info on the post office site correctly in order to go to Portugal, I will need two IDPs. A 1968 one that covers France and Portugal and a 1949 one that covers Spain. So an extra £11 plus photos etc. My insurance company have sent an email saying I may need a green card. All of this is assuming we leave with no deal. If not I might not need any of this. Can you imagine if you were faced with this on a much larger scale, say running a freight business.
What a fiasco.
Cheers Jak

It's OK JB, it's all for the Greater Good..... or something. :(
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

SteveR wrote:
What a fiasco.
Cheers Jak

Are you really sure??

All I see is extra cost and complexity
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

johnnyboxer wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:27 am
SteveR wrote:
What a fiasco.
Cheers Jak

Are you really sure??

All I see is extra cost and complexity
Yep, still waiting for any Breiteer to inform me of any advantage of any Brexit outcome, that might affect me in anyway. As I’m not travelling until the end of May, I’ll wait to see the outcome before I splash out on an IDP, in the hope of saving myself £5.50.

Return to “TRAVEL”