Interesting experience at my local bmw dealer today.

Bikers and riding
DaveCon

Re: Interesting experience at Roy Pidcocks Derbyshire today.

Post by DaveCon »

That's really shocking from a "premium" bike dealer. I know my local dealer did it as part of the 6000 mile service. As someone already said, the 600 mile service is a shakedown service anyway.

I'm surprised the chain needed adjusting after only 600 miles, I don't know if this is normal or not but it doesn't sound right. The old F800GS had a notoriously weak chain but adjustment after only 600 miles is poor. I think I would be suggesting to the dealer that it either wasn't set right on delivery, the mechanic doing the service has got it wrong, or the chain is faulty and you want a new one under warranty.

If you put a warranty claim in it will get highlighted to the dealership management and thence to BMW. Might create a nice fuss :twisted:
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

That is a fricken outrage.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Weealwyn

Post by Weealwyn »

My recent experience of main BMW Dealer (Belfast) is my first, and it has been very positive so far. They found earth issues and wiring problems and sorted for the spotlights for free and then gave me the information from the computer to highlight what I already knew that the heated grips were faulty, also said that previous warning on needing front discs was premature and they would be fine for another 6K at least. They even washed the bike to a higher standard than I do.
All this on a 2008 bike with high miles - and after I pointed out the courtesy bike (3 hours on a '19 1250GSA) would be pointless for me to own on PCP because of high miles I do - so there was no prospect of a new bike sale.

I would make a stink if it were me - and ensure I go somewhere else too.

alwyn
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Out of interest, what actually is 'officially' included in the first service if checking/adjusting the chain is not.....presumably it's all listed in the owners manual and/or service book?
Toe

Post by Toe »

That's shocking :lol:
I've worked for two main dealers for two different brands (both probably err towards premium) and obviously that is included in the service, that's servicing 101!
I would hope you get a service sheet that shows what is done for that service, both brands I worked with gave the customer ticked list. But then they wanted to charge you to tighten the chain soooo...
I'd be interested to see a BMW service sheet if such thing exists
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Toe wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:02 pm That's shocking :lol:
I've worked for two main dealers for two different brands (both probably err towards premium) and obviously that is included in the service, that's servicing 101!
I would hope you get a service sheet that shows what is done for that service, both brands I worked with gave the customer ticked list. But then they wanted to charge you to tighten the chain soooo...
I'd be interested to see a BMW service sheet if such thing exists
Yes there should be a service sheet with every item to check, Webb's even had a diagnostic results sheet for my Yam and as your'es is a "premium" brand . . .
FatFreddy

Re: Interesting experience at my local bmw dealer today.

Post by FatFreddy »

This may prove useful?
The personal email address on the CEO of BMW Motorrad.......

[email protected]

👍😂👍
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

BMW= 'Bring me wealth' Dealer service= 'Don't even always leave everything right, so every repaired vehicle is costed expensively'

Frankly , rather than deal with people like that I'd be happy riding an IZH Jupiter outfit.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Googled F800GS service schedule and found this:

https://www.ascycles.com/pdf/ServiceSch ... GS_600.pdf

So clutch play is checked and adjusted, but the chain is only checked!
gbags

Post by gbags »

fast frankie wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:10 pm Hi Guys, took my new BMW f850gs for its first service today, I left them with my bike and went back home, hour later they rang me and asked if I would like my chain tightening because it was a little slack and that would cost extra.
Im left thinking to myself what is included in the £180.00 service cost. I told him I will do it myself and couldn't believe this was not included.

Day 2.
Thought I would come back and edit this. So today the day after the service I rang my dealer and explained the above to the manager and how I felt a little angry about this situation, He explained the BMW policy and said although chain tension is not included in the Service cost bring your bike in today and we will sought your chain for you. Let me also mention that I told him I had put my experience on a few BMW forums, I couldn't believe what's happened they have normally served me well, had three new bikes from them over the years and had zero problems with any of my bikes, shame this happened really, apologies have been made and excepted all is well now.
My experience with BMW and my 800 GS was that every single time they saw me they said, ‘chain and sprockets need replacing’. One time the told me that the chain had been fitted too tight; it was a link short. THEY’D fitted the chain!

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”