EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Trev

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Trev »

DavidS wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:55 pm Best of 2, 3, 4? How many would you want?
What parameters for a majority? Where would you finally accept a vote? If ever?
The 'best of' approach is ok for deciding who wins a game of conkers or tossing a coin for whose round is it next but has no relevance for how a country takes it's most important decision for decades.

Besides, with that statement you are already assuming that another vote would result in 'remain' coming out as the preferred position. If, as most leavers insist, it still is 'the will of the people' then a second vote should result in a much needed affirmation of the first. As 'the people' would have voted with the awareness and information on the reality of leaving that we now have, if we as a country still vote leave then pretty much all arguments to the contrary are null and void and we just get on with it, nuff said!

If however a second vote results in 'remain' decision, once again all those fiercely defending 'the will of the people' get a result as 'the people' get a chance to change their mind over the biggest single decision for this country for over fifty years. We could then decide how we want to proceed, another vote (best of 3 like in the kiddies games), simply remain or something else.

Now we are faced with the inevitable delay anyway why not use it for a double check, what's to lose?
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Trev wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:00 pm
DavidS wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:55 pm Best of 2, 3, 4? How many would you want?
What parameters for a majority? Where would you finally accept a vote? If ever?
The 'best of' approach is ok for deciding who wins a game of conkers or tossing a coin for whose round is it next but has no relevance for how a country takes it's most important decision for decades.

Besides, with that statement you are already assuming that another vote would result in 'remain' coming out as the preferred position. If, as most leavers insist, it still is 'the will of the people' then a second vote should result in a much needed affirmation of the first. As 'the people' would have voted with the awareness and information on the reality of leaving that we now have, if we as a country still vote leave then pretty much all arguments to the contrary are null and void and we just get on with it, nuff said!

If however a second vote results in 'remain' decision, once again all those fiercely defending 'the will of the people' get a result as 'the people' get a chance to change their mind over the biggest single decision for this country for over fifty years. We could then decide how we want to proceed, another vote (best of 3 like in the kiddies games), simply remain or something else.

Now we are faced with the inevitable delay anyway why not use it for a double check, what's to lose?
You really should stop talking common sense, Trev. It just doesn't fit with the zeitgeist...

And you really shouldn't keep calling on your business experience to demonstrate the failings of brexit. Remember experts and those directly affected are now discredited in favour of rumour, myth and gut instinct. You are being awkward, what with your direct personal testimony and your empirical evidence. You get in the way of the new polemic - belief over facts.
Last edited by daveuprite on Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trev

Post by Trev »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:17 pm I do wish you would stop talking common sense, Trev. It just doesn't fit with the zeitgeist...
.... or my image. No problem, I can pretty easily revert to the shouty sweary bloke who used to run around a football pitch kicking people and being obnoxious - ok, the running bit is out :cry:
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Africa John wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:01 pm
Brenhden wrote:
DavidS wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:45 am
Crossrutted wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:06 am
OB1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:13 am
garyboy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:11 am We got a parliament that won't listen to the majority of the people.

Which majority is that? 17.4 million is not a majority of 66 million... The majority didn't vote to leave. :twisted:
oops - that's an inconvenient truth that the leavers don't want discussed....

Democracy my ass! :roll:
So that means the result of pretty much every general election is invalid. :roll:
There are NOT 66 million voters in the country so stop this stupid use of figures to justify an mis-described quote.
Very true, however GEs give a parliament for four years so if we could apply the same logic we are due another brexit vote on 23/06/20 if this shamble is still lurching on. The voting public will be quite a different group of people by then.
The wording on the ballot was quite clear

Do you want to leave the EU?

And Cameron (the spineless shit) was quite clear. It was a once in a lifetime choice. And if you vote leave then we will leave.

You shouldn't revisit it every four years like Parliament because the question was so big and the choice was clear.

Whether you think the voters decision was I'll informed or misguided doesn't matter

The binary choice couldn't have been any clearer

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I think it is best not to quote Cameron as he said he would stay and sort it out before the referendum and then quit straight after.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
scutty

Post by scutty »

Trev wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:00 pm The 'best of' approach is ok for deciding who wins a game of conkers or tossing a coin for whose round is it next but has no relevance for how a country takes it's most important decision for decades.

Joking aside - is there a leaver with an opinion on this post?
OB1

Post by OB1 »

scutty wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:43 am Joking aside - is there a leaver with an opinion on this post?

I doubt it. I asked a similar question several weeks ago and all I got was nonsense from some and crickets from the rest... :lol:
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

not read the last few posts as sometimes tire of groundhog day while listening to a broken record

for those who do not understand wot `representative democracy` is .. please look it up in tinternet … thankyou :)

fro those who disagree with our form of democracy, or voting systems, referendums etc etc .. please feel free to petition, lobby, raise objections, campaign etc etc etc .. to change the system … thankyou
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

garyboy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:55 am not read the last few posts as sometimes tire of groundhog day while listening to a broken record

for those who do not understand wot `representative democracy` is .. please look it up in tinternet … thankyou :)

fro those who disagree with our form of democracy, or voting systems, referendums etc etc .. please feel free to petition, lobby, raise objections, campaign etc etc etc .. to change the system … thankyou
Great point, as the referendum was only advisory and it seems our elected representatives cannot achieve it can we just forget the whole thing?
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Is there an icon for banging head on table
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

Just looked at BBC news and apparently the petition website for revoking Article 50 has crashed after reaching 500,000 signatures

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Return to “THE PUB”