Interesting experience at my local bmw dealer today.

Bikers and riding
fast frankie

Interesting experience at my local bmw dealer today.

Post by fast frankie »

Hi Guys, took my new BMW f850gs for its first service today, I left them with my bike and went back home, hour later they rang me and asked if I would like my chain tightening because it was a little slack and that would cost extra.
Im left thinking to myself what is included in the £180.00 service cost. I told him I will do it myself and couldn't believe this was not included.

Day 2.
Thought I would come back and edit this. So today the day after the service I rang my dealer and explained the above to the manager and how I felt a little angry about this situation, He explained the BMW policy and said although chain tension is not included in the Service cost bring your bike in today and we will sought your chain for you. Let me also mention that I told him I had put my experience on a few BMW forums, I couldn't believe what's happened they have normally served me well, had three new bikes from them over the years and had zero problems with any of my bikes, shame this happened really, apologies have been made and excepted all is well now.
Last edited by fast frankie on Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
catcitrus

Re: Interesting experience at Roy Pidcocks Derbyshire today.

Post by catcitrus »

you mustn't forget that the "average" BMW GS rider has little or no mechanical knowledge and is also well heeled--its the BMW way! :D --but seriously thats taking the urine on an expensive motorcycle where one would think that they would send you away with a smile of satisfaction.
Stevied

Post by Stevied »

I'm surprised they didn't just do it and bill you.
That's why i fell out with them, doing jobs without asking.
At least they've learnt that lesson.
Wouldn't touch them with yours.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Err, so the first service isn't meant for checking all the items that could have come loose, need initial adjustment etc then? :o
I'd have told them they can do it in with the service or you'll be taking the bike to someone else in the future.

Steve
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Is checking and adjusting the chain as necessary not part of the service on an F800?
crofty

Post by crofty »

You would think on a 10/11 grand bike they would make enough to include stuff like this in the service cost,
it probably took longer for the mechanic to communicate to his boss that your chain was slack and for his boss to communicate that info to you than it would to adjust the chain.
What next your tyres are not up to recommended pressure sir but for a small sum we could put some air in them :shock: .
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

That's taking the piss, it's part of a service and I would take my business elsewhere!
1st service on Tracer from Webb's £99, standard 1st service cost for all bikes and yes that includes checking, adjusting and lubing chain.
Mike Wright

Post by Mike Wright »

Even if it wasnt listed as a service action it should be done out of courtesy and the bike should be safe and roadworthy when it leaves the dealer. Thats disappointing Im sure BMW Uk would be well impressed with that.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Shocking service
Glad I don't have to suffer these type of dealers anymore
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Tink

Post by Tink »

I'd tell them to shove it up there backside.... Go to another dealer 👍

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”