Car dealers

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
clutchspring

Car dealers

Post by clutchspring »

Hi , any one know the best time to get a good deal on a new car ?.
The wire's thinking of taking advantage of the scrapage allowance and trading her old Micra in.
I know that dealers have sales targets at certain times throughout the year but when would be the best time to go in for a good deal.

Thanks,
Ian.
Tramp

Re: Car dealers

Post by Tramp »

End of every month...but the scrappage money they give you us paid to them from government and only on certain models..

Find car she likes..phone round asking for best cash price...nowadays most use pcp :evil: ...scheme of the devil...

Cash is king a nearly new pre redgisted car will be 25% cheaper than a unredgisterd one as 20% vat then depreciation..byt the dealers wont say that...

Also thought it was ai ed at old diesels for cleaner petrols or hybrids...give me a old diesel anyday...
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I would have thought now with the cock up that`s brexit and nobody wanting to shell out money until they know what the hells going on :(
Bought a Tracer 900 GT in October last year on 3 years 0% as I presume Yamaha were trying to shift 18 model :D
Trev

Post by Trev »

I've bought two cars using Carwow, let's you build exact spec, colour, model then gets best prices from participating dealers. I got money off a Beetle that I couldn't get anywhere near with the three VW dealers I tried and it was quick and simple to use.

The dealer I went with wouldn't let me negotiate any more discount but I did manage to get a 3 year/30k mile service package and of course the obligatory mats :D (not cheap from VW). He was also very helpful and pointed out that the PCP offer included 7 days insurance (handy as it was a birthday surprise for my wife) and an extra £1000 from VW toward the deposit. When I said I didn't want PCP (I had been saving up for nearly 6 years so had the cash) he said I could sign up to the deal, get the £1,000 & 7 day insurance then use my right to cancel before taking delivery. It went exactly as i said and I was £1,000 better off

Cash is no longer king for brand new as manufacturers want to sell you PCP/finance so often bundle in extras.

When I bought a new van I bottomed out discount then got 3 years servicing and 4th year warranty after much haggling, the deals are out there if you're prepared to walk away of you don't get want. It may help to line up a couple of other cars besides just the Micra as gives you more bargaining power if your not absolutely tied to one model.
Dansin

Post by Dansin »

If you can get their end of month, end of quarter and end of year lined up you should get a decent deal. Managed to get just over 15% off a new S3 last year at a local dealer. The best dealer through carwow could only offer about 6% off.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Unfortunately you're a bit late. I've found the best time to buy a new car is january & february, because most people are waiting for the new reg in march, so sales are slow for dealers.
I did this with my last new car and got a big discount, i also got this big discount by accepting their finance (so the salesman got his commision on that as well) and just paid it all off after a month with no interest charges.
But with any car purchase, at any time of year, you have to be prepared to haggle hard..... and sometimes be prepared to walk away.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I've never ever bought a brand new car myself. Must feel strange and exciting I guess.

But do you really want to be the person who loses half the value of the car in the first 3 years?
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Zookman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:34 pm Unfortunately you're a bit late. I've found the best time to buy a new car is january & february, because most people are waiting for the new reg in march, so sales are slow for dealers.
I did this with my last new car and got a big discount, i also got this big discount by accepting their finance (so the salesman got his commision on that as well) and just paid it all off after a month with no interest charges.
But with any car purchase, at any time of year, you have to be prepared to haggle hard..... and sometimes be prepared to walk away.
Reckon you're right there Zookman.
I bought a brand new Transit Custom van in March 2017 on a 66 plate, registered in January 2017, from a Ford main dealer, ex demo, 80 miles on the clock with a £2000 discount.
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

daveuprite wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:56 pm I've never ever bought a brand new car myself. Must feel strange and exciting I guess.

But do you really want to be the person who loses half the value of the car in the first 3 years?
I said I’d never buy a brand new car but the diesel scrappage scheme made it viable.

After trying a few local showrooms (Ford, Toyota etc) the best deal I found for a small car was though a family run VW dealer when I was searching in September 2017.

Against a new Polo, they immediately offered £2800 trade in for our 18 year old rusty Audi A4 diesel (which was worth about £900 max and they didn’t even want to see it).

I then negotiated the actual discount by looking on carwow for a guide price but I didn’t register as the dealer said he could offer a better price if I haven’t registered (he said they would have to pay them commission which he could pass on to me if I haven’t registered).

I was aware the new shape polo was due out so there would be new (old) stock to shift. We ended up paying £11,500 cash for a brand new unregistered 1.2TSI Match edition 5 door Polo which was a £4500 discount so that offset the initial depreciation as it was still worth that a year later.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Billy Bananahead wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:01 pm
Zookman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:34 pm Unfortunately you're a bit late. I've found the best time to buy a new car is january & february, because most people are waiting for the new reg in march, so sales are slow for dealers.
Reckon you're right there Zookman.
I bought a brand new Transit Custom van in March 2017 on a 66 plate, registered in January 2017, from a Ford main dealer, ex demo, 80 miles on the clock with a £2000 discount.
The last new car i mentioned that i bought, was also a Ford. In fact most of my cars have been Fords.
I've also found that Ford dealers not only are open to discount, but they are also open to haggling. Some manufacturer dealers dont want to know haggling.

Return to “THE PUB”