TRF forum still offline

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
ggp59

Re: TRF forum still offline

Post by ggp59 »

Hugh wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:59 pm who is listening.jpg
To be honest people are only talking because they care about trail riding, and if have left the organisation they feel so disenchanted with who cares if the current regime gets a bit pissed off with the truth being aired where they can't control it?? Not me for sure!

I will continue to trail ride on legal rights of way as can read a map, ride the odd enduro when I fancy something different, and am doing bits of the TET in Spain with mates this summer - all without the TRF and their facebook nonsense!

Happy days 😁
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I gave up with the TRF years ago. I still have respect for people who are fighting to keep our green lanes open and in use and applaud them for doing so but there is always squabbling and dissent going on at national level. I used to enjoy the local meets and runs out but some of the runs were oversubscribed with up to 30 bikes which tended to annoy walkers,horse riders etc. If i go out on my own or in a very small group it tends to go un noticed to a certain extent. Even at local group level many members were guarded about giving out routes to other people as if it were the holy grail instead of helping out new members. I don,t miss the TRF at all but i hope for their sake it all gets resolved.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

To be fair to the TRF (GLASS and LARA) they have looked at the number of folks at any single event and have made recommendations that such should be reduced to more manageable numbers.

https://www.glass-uk.org/about/our-code-of-conduct.html

https://trail.trf.org.uk/wp-content/upl ... t-2018.pdf

I think that the problems of sharing routes has diminished. The reticence was mostly about trying to limit the impact of visiting numbers, especially upon the more popular routes, but with the Authorities reducing the number of available routes so volumes per se have increased anyway. I have published for free download quite a few routes on ViewRanger if anybody is interested.

TTFN

Hugh.
mikeXTZ

Post by mikeXTZ »

I have not been with the TRF since they decided not to represent anyone riding the Sarn Helen......It was an insurance policy.....They had the opportunity to prove its status when some were going to be prosecuted a few years ago. Apparently they had the evidence then, and the case was dropped for the members in the TRF, whilst as i understand the others were prosecuted.
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

It took some digging to even get them to admit they would not back up people illegaly pestered and threatened by the authorities when riding the Sarn, they refused to publicly admit they would not on the members forum and would only give an answer privately on a one at a time basis if you emailed the directors, they expected every member to individualy ask ....WTF?????
ScottHeyden

Post by ScottHeyden »

2 Yams wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:15 am
ScottHeyden wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:19 pm I have asked the Northern region director to update.
Looks like it's all quiet on the northern front then?

2 Yams
Hoping for an update from Doug at our committee meeting tomorrow night Rod
Red Maverick

Post by Red Maverick »

Thanks for you warm welcomes, it is nice to see some familar names.

First time since the demise of the TRF Forum I have actually had a welcome on anything TRF.

Currently I am far beyond the naughty step, at the top of the naughty stairs in fact for asking about anybody who has done a run leaders course for a bit of info. Go figure. Maybe there were more replies posted before I got removed from the TRF Trail Closed FB Group, that I did not see today. Funny side is that my post had to be approved by an admin before showing, which it was, even a director liked it, then hey presto, I am kicked out.

Anyway I am doing lots of ride outs for the local TRF and get full rides, maybe we should have a national ride, TRF or not. but still keen to promote and and vertise the TRF. I have seen them come and go, maybe Fellowship will be lost this time, but there are a lot of people who care about maintaining access for Fellow Trail Riders.
2 Yams

Post by 2 Yams »

ScottHeyden wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:52 pm
2 Yams wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:15 am
ScottHeyden wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:19 pm I have asked the Northern region director to update.
Looks like it's all quiet on the northern front then?

2 Yams
Hoping for an update from Doug at our committee meeting tomorrow night Rod
Thanks Scott, hope your able to pass on any information......if you get it.

2 Yams
prg4967

Post by prg4967 »

Red Maverick wrote:Thanks for you warm welcomes, it is nice to see some familar names.

First time since the demise of the TRF Forum I have actually had a welcome on anything TRF.

Currently I am far beyond the naughty step, at the top of the naughty stairs in fact for asking about anybody who has done a run leaders course for a bit of info. Go figure. Maybe there were more replies posted before I got removed from the TRF Trail Closed FB Group, that I did not see today. Funny side is that my post had to be approved by an admin before showing, which it was, even a director liked it, then hey presto, I am kicked out.

Anyway I am doing lots of ride outs for the local TRF and get full rides, maybe we should have a national ride, TRF or not. but still keen to promote and and vertise the TRF. I have seen them come and go, maybe Fellowship will be lost this time, but there are a lot of people who care about maintaining access for Fellow Trail Riders.
It looks like your post has been deleted now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Back in the days before CROW and NERC we rode many routes on 'presumed rights'.

The only way of finding out which routes had defendable 'presumed rights' was through TRF membership. Old-school TRF members like Brian Thompson had worked tirelessly and for little reward in establishing these rights.

Now it's easy to find the few routes we can still ride through looking at OS maps and checking on the ground for TRO signs. So the notion that you need TRF membership to 'know where to ride' no longer applies to anyone of reasonable intelligence.

The argument for TRF membership remains 'Protecting our right to ride'. Plus finding like-minded people to ride with. All good.

My problem is with the attitude now prevailing in the governance of the organisation. Example...I've got a mate who can't stop looking at and talking about my trail bikes and trail riding. He's got a bike licence acquired many years ago, and did some off-road riding while working in Australia, back in his youth. He's a keen walker now, and does a lot of work keeping the local footpaths clear, and is always asking me about rights of way etc. He'd be a real asset to the TRF.

So, I thought I'd take him along to an all-off-road paid-for TRF 'fun day' at my expense. Only to be told it was members only. Except...they were letting children ride. This was because they were "the members of tomorrow," apparently. And my mate, who has a licence and the money to buy a bike and join the TRF but just wanted to try riding for a day to find out whether he was still up to it was turned down. He really was a 'member of tomorrow."

As he said to me: "That doesn't seem very friendly."

Too bloody right.

I also wonder when the last quorate AGM was, when the next one is scheduled for, and where and when the minutes of the Board Meetings are posted? Also, when was the Chairman elected, and by whom?

The TRF now seems infested with a 'elf&safety' culture which has come about through a continuing switch to organised events putting lots of riders into certain honeypot areas.

According to the last accounts posted, the TRF had a six-figure financial reserve...there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of accountability about how it is spent. We do get a colour magazine four time a year though...with lots of pictures of the Chairman in it.

When issues were raised on the Forum, posts were deleted and members threatened and banned. This does not inspire confidence in the current leadership.

When/if things change, I might rejoin.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”