Selling a bike in Spain or Morocco

Bikers and riding
Daunted Rider

Selling a bike in Spain or Morocco

Post by Daunted Rider »

I'm taking a trip up from Guinea to Morocco soon and am planning on selling my bike at the end of the trip. It's a 2014 BMW F700 GS that I bought in South Africa and I can't take it back to the States. Besides its a great way to make a long trek and not worry about riding all the way back...

So anyone have any experience in selling bikes in either country? And legal issues to worry about?

Thanks.
AlanHolt

Re: Selling a bike in Spain or Morocco

Post by AlanHolt »

For Spain, as the registered keeper, you would have to import it which you can't do unless you have an address here, and then sell it. As a Spanish resident, I would need the SA papers to be in my name before I could then start importing it to Spain. This would mean the bike is only worth breaking for parts.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

From memory the system in Morocco is that when you arrive with your bike it has to be temporarily imported (even if it's only a day trip) and the importation number is put on your passport. Then when you leave you have to be with the bike or pay import tax before you can cross the border/board a plane or boat.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Tonibe is right - though you could fly out no problem. Its when you were to come back either flight or other and you would be smacked with the import tax based on the NEW value of the bike. So doing what you're suggesting in Morocco is a non-starter.
Daunted Rider

Post by Daunted Rider »

Thanks. I figured selling in Spain with be a pain, but not as much in Morocco.

So I was planning on keeping my bike at a friend's house, return home, and then come back a few weeks later to tour a bit more and sell the bike. From what you are saying, this might not be possible.
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

Ride it up to the UK, import it here then sell it here. It’s a whole lot easier, assuming it will pass a UK MOT.
Daunted Rider

Post by Daunted Rider »

Wish I had the time to do just that. Maybe my next trek and with my next bike! I'm liking the Triumph Scrambler 1200 a lot so maybe I can exchange my old bike for a new one. :)
Chris S

Sell on the HUBB

Post by Chris S »

You might try advertising it to fellow bike travellers to ride it back into Africa.
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/t ... le-wanted/
Most of the bikes advertised there are in South America.
North Africa (or Spain) would be quite unusual - assuming all the paperwork (and CdP?) can be reorganised.

I rode a 700GS in Morocco the other month. Very nice machine on road and trail. Shame it looks so boring ;-)
Actually, now I think of it, nothing to be lost contacting the place that rented it to me in Marrakech: loc2roues.com
They mostly run BMs.
They might know of a way to buy it off you, but don't expect much after tax. Mention me, it might help.
If you write to them in English, keep it simple.
Daunted Rider

Post by Daunted Rider »

Chris. Thanks for the tip and I will definitely contact them (and drop your name!) The more I look into importing in Morocco, it seems a complex process so they might know how to go about it. HUBB is a great source as well. I bought in in South Africa for a song so I'm not looking to see it for too much.

I've really enjoyed the 700GS. It was a bit tricky for learning off road riding due to the weight, but it's such a steady bike that I've pulled off some amazing recoveries in deep sand. I had to upgrade the shocks after some rough roads (and bad riding) ate the stock one.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”