Garmin 680T

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Chifwap

Garmin 680T

Post by Chifwap »

Hi
Has anyone experienced this and if so do you by any chance know the answer?
Very new Garmin 680T...charges fine with the USB...set on spanner.
Recently purchased the proper robust cradle. All connected and power to the terminals of the cradle...5.02 volts on multimeter terminal 4 (+ve) and 5 (-ve) out of the 6 looking at it in situ. All good. Connect the montana into the cradle...no charging!
Is there a setting within the 680 that I should have triggered to allow charging from the mount?... or might it be the GPS has a fault?
I have been on other web sites and there seems to be quite a lot about charging issues but haven't yet found anything that solves the problem here...it may just be a problem with device and I should return it but don't want to do this if I am missing a setting!
Many thanks for any light on this rather nerdy subject!
Chifwap
~ACP~

Re: Garmin 680T

Post by ~ACP~ »

Doesn't sound right, that. Should pick up the charge straight away, regardless of setting.
Chifwap

Post by Chifwap »

...I agree...think I will get in touch with Garmin! Thanks for your thought on this!
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I bought a cheap power cable for my Garmin Map62 and it would not come out of mass storage mode as if it was just connected to a computer for data transfer and charging. I never had this problem on my Map60 because it used a dedicated four pin power port and a USB just for data transfer. I went for the Garmin power lead in the end and it powered the device up straight away and went into normal operation. I was told that some of the cheaper power cables although they supply 12 volts the current was insufficient to power up the unit correctly. I had no problems after that. USB is quite a poor method of supplying power to any electrical item and the plugs seem more problematic as they get older and the pins become worn or loosen up.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

frenchy3 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:57 pm . USB is quite a poor method of supplying power to any electrical item and the plugs seem more problematic as they get older and the pins become worn or loosen up.
Yep, it seems easy and simple as there are so many units out there, but as you say, not the most robust... Quite like my Moto G3 phone, as the USB socket comes on an easily replaceable module, costs about 3 quid... ;)
hounddogman

Post by hounddogman »

I fitted a Garmin drivesmart to my Royal Enfield Interceptor with a handlebar attachment from E-bay it worked well except for screen kept flopping down towards tank, which I rectified by using a thin engineers rubber glove finger cut off and pulled over ball joint for better grip, also had usb socket fitted to system to work on ignition, also got a tablet waterproof cover just in case.
Job done
Hope this helps other riders!!
WillS

Post by WillS »

Had the problem once with the Montana.
The brass connecting poles on the mount where sticking and not making a good electrical contact with the Montana in the mount.
It was after a year or two of use, cleaned them all and it's been ok since.
But should pick up the charging on any setting if it's working correctly.
Good luck as they are a great bit of kit when working..
990Duck

Post by 990Duck »

Had simular problem Garmin Zumo. Once was when the shop connected the switchable live to a source that didn't have enough power. The second when I accidentally got the connection on the cradle the wrong way round and killed something inside. After which the unit worked find on usb charge and stand alone but not when in the power cradle.

Return to “TECHNICAL”