...the puncture cover up!

The essential art of farkling.
Chifwap

...the puncture cover up!

Post by Chifwap »

...next up...what is the best inner tube puncture cover up ointment one can administer to allow deflation and inflation?
daveuprite

Re: ...the puncture cover up!

Post by daveuprite »

Chifwap wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:43 pm what is the best ointment one can administer to allow inflation?
Wrong forum mate.
Chifwap

Post by Chifwap »

...I’ll try again....any views on the what is the best puncture repair fluid to prevent punctures where tyre pressures can deflated and inflated?
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

what are you trying to do just adjust pressure, slime will do it but may block the valve . its ok with a garage air line but struggles with a little pump to clear the valve
Chifwap

Post by Chifwap »

...this was the point really. is their an inner tube puncture preventative slime that allows the decrease and increase in tyre pressures repeatedly?..what stops the valve getting sealed up?
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

I think Slime is what you are looking for Chifwap. It shouldn't block the valve as long as when you inflate or deflate the tyre make sure the valve is at the 12 O'clock position.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Anybody ever use the latex type sealant that's used on tubeless mountain bikes, like Stans?

It does a great job on mountain bikes (others are available too) but I wonder if it's man enough for trail riding...
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

I use bicycle stuff in my tubeless road bicycle and I don't think it would be man enough. It's funny stuff as it goes tits up if you use a co2 cartridge. Also the bits in it are smaller.
I used to use sealant a lot when trail riding before i moved to mousses. I bought large 1L bottles of the stuff in farmers co op stores. Worked very well.
Last edited by redbikejohn on Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Ref the blocked valves debate. Not really had an issue with it. The goo tends to coat the whole inner tube and works by leaking out when a puncture happens. It has bits in that then clog up the hole. It will have gone down a bit but pump it up again and it should be good. When checking tyre pressure just pop some air in first ie tiny puff of air to clear valve base.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Cone

Post by Cone »

https://www.oko.com/why-motorbike-rider ... carefully/

I am interested in slime, but found this link. It seems to say that heat breaks up the slime and it shouldn’t be used over 50mph (for the tubes). No good really. After 2 punctures on the trails I thought it’d be worth a punt

Return to “ACCESSORIES”