Africa Twin to Ian Coates!!!!!

Bikers and riding
dibbs

Africa Twin to Ian Coates!!!!!

Post by dibbs »

You tube can be a revelation sometimes!!! whilst watching some Portuguese riding god called Sickman bombing around on his Africa Twin in the mountains on off road single track, and trying to get a few tips lol.... I came across a video of a guy that he met in a Lisbon bike shop meet up called Ian Coates. Now this guy has ridden round the world and been doing it for FOURTEEN YEARS!!!!!! and I've never heard of him before, but I have heard and watched, listened to and read about other travellers tales (and after a while they all seem to follow the same routes or have similar experiences) but this guy was so enthralling in the way he described his adventure (real old school almost naïve charm) I just sat and watched over 3 hours of his amazing story. What an interesting guy and so funny in his own way which I loved. Does anyone know what he is up to now, and does he have any books out etc.
Schoe000

Re: Africa Twin to Ian Coates!!!!!

Post by Schoe000 »

Ian Coates did a talk at one of the rallies the year before last very entertaining top bloke.
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

He used to come in where I work and I recognised him he was chuffed I knew who he was :D
His story is worth reading he used to do the rounds of bike shows not heard of him recently.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Ahhh...Ian Coates - top chap and perhaps better known in the world of the old Africa Twin! He used old Givi E45 plastic panniers for his travels, who needs tin boxes! The last I heard, he was back home in Hebden Bridge, Yorks.
Alun

Post by Alun »

I'm sure he'll not mind me saying this, Ian has bought a ticket for the ABR Festival 2019 at Ragley Hall and will be there with his Africa Twin
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

He was interviewed on Adventure Rider Radio a while back. You can listen to it here: https://adventureriderradio.com/adventu ... ian-coates

Also, we were at Nathan Milward's talk last night at CooperB Motorcycles and he mentioned him too. Seems like a right nutcase and character (In a nice way)
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

He goes to the TT, met him over there. Class bike and top bloke, he had time for anyone who wanted to chat to him.
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”