car behaviour when joining a main carriageway

Bikers and riding
lancashirelad

Re: car behaviour when joining a main carriageway

Post by lancashirelad »

And if their driving a 4x4 none of the rules apply to them under any circumstances :lol:
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Seems I'm not alone and being singled out for a premature end!--people can merge safely--but it does require that they look in their mirrors and adjust their speed to slot into a gap(which to be honest most people don't leave anyway!)--and if all else fails--they have to STOP and wait for a clear bit !--its a bloody give way line--at least thats what I was told and taught back in the 60s!! I remember one incident in Plymouth, many years ago now, when I was driving OLO 278L--a Triumph 2000 with nice 6 cyl engine and an overdrive button on third and top--anyway--I digress as usual--the old Triumph had wrap around steel bumpers. Some idiot pulled out without looking and bounced off my rear quarter--the Triumph was fine!
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Today we live in the ME society, which means that they don't give a ... for anyone but themselves.

Selfies, look what I did today on Facebook, etc. it's all the same self reinforcing bullshit, yet if you say anything then you are invading their space and their privacy and their right to do whatever the want....

Unfortunately not enough of them remove themselves from the gene pool by taking selfies at the top of mountains / structures and falling off, so it will only get worse....

Humbug.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

catcitrus wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:06 pm Seems I'm not alone and being singled out for a premature end!--people can merge safely--but it does require that they look in their mirrors and adjust their speed to slot into a gap(which to be honest most people don't leave anyway!)--and if all else fails--they have to STOP and wait for a clear bit !--its a bloody give way line--at least thats what I was told and taught back in the 60s!! I remember one incident in Plymouth, many years ago now, when I was driving OLO 278L--a Triumph 2000 with nice 6 cyl engine and an overdrive button on third and top--anyway--I digress as usual--the old Triumph had wrap around steel bumpers. Some idiot pulled out without looking and bounced off my rear quarter--the Triumph was fine!
We had one of them, actually learnt to drive in it.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

May I pass on two pieces of advice I received; first ride defensibly and second never go into a situation if you don't have an escape plan.

Motorcycling is like chess but with more serious consequences :shock:

TTFN

Hugh.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I pretty much never stay in the nearside lane at junctions. Too many years of near misses, that’s in car or on bike.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

DavidS wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:44 pm I pretty much never stay in the nearside lane at junctions. Too many years of near misses, that’s in car or on bike.
+1 for this.
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

DavidS wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:44 pm I pretty much never stay in the nearside lane at junctions. Too many years of near misses, that’s in car or on bike.
Best plan of action of its clear, safer for you and keeps everyone's speed up so cuts down on the annoying whiplash traffic jams.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

thats ok if you are on a bike that will quickly accelerate up to 80 mph or so--but on a crowded dual carriageway on a trail bike or something slow you simply can't do that--and you are changing lanes so have to be very aware of someone coming up really fast. I agree that it sort of keeps you out of "harms way"--but rules are rules and you shouldn't join without due care and attention--and as it says in the highway code"without causing the traffic in the main carriageway to either CHANGE SPEED or have to change lanes".
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

catcitrus wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:06 pm --but it does require that they look in their mirrors and adjust their speed to slot into a gap(which to be honest most people don't leave anyway!)--
AND LOOK OVER THEIR SHOULDERS FFS :x :x

I would say about twice a week I have either a near miss or get nerfed by cars joining from slip roads (and ploughing across two lanes) or junctions or just changing lanes. They simply have no idea. It's got to the point I can predict a what a car is going to do probably before the driver knows. The worst one was someone actually came from behind me so I had no chance of taking avoiding action.

I think people just couldn't care less; insurance will sort it out.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”