helmet removal at filling staions

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: helmet removal at filling staions

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Where did he 'get rid of' the diesel? If he tipped it out that's an offence.

BTW it's bad practice to hold a bike upright while filling it: if it falls over you may go up in flames. No prizes for guessing which bit of you gets burned first.

It's also bad practice to brim the tank. Petrol is cold when it comes out of the underground bulk tank, and will rapidly expand thanks to the heat from the engine.

If you wan to do a Joan of Arc impression, please do it at home!

:D
dave h

Post by dave h »

take my helmet off ?

dave.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

The H and S ruling states that its good practice to put the bike on the stand and stand alongside it for just those reasons, but doesn't say anything about helmet removal--although from what I've found its recommended practice to keep the helmet on to protect the eyes when the fuel spits back and also helps in the event of a spillage and fire--as you can see from the Co-op's reply that they are careful to say that helmet removal is purely to allow the attendant to judge whether the person doing the filling is UNDER AGE !, and fail to bother about the other implications mentioned in previous posts. I would also add that filling any kind of can is far more dangerous (IMO) than filling any tank as the aperture is small and it causes a backflow of fuel droplets--but of course its perfectly legal in a "recognised container". I've had another go at Co-op central as they have now effectively committed to niqab removal alongside helmet removal--and we'll see what they say.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Not sure I get the age thing, sound like an excuse.

If you are riding a motorcycle onto a Garage forecourt it would be "reasonable" to assume you are over sixteen.

If the motorcycle did not have a number plate, then it would be "reasonable" to assume it is being driven illegally and therefore you withhold service.

All forecourts have cameras so should be simple.

Which brings up a question in these days of less and less Police out on the roads. Why not equip garages with ANPR cameras? No number plate no fuel; no tax no fuel: no mot (where required) no fuel; no insurance, no fuel; Stolen, you get tasered.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Catcitrus - the age for petrol purchase is 16, and you cant ride a bike under the age of 16? so by definition, anyone on a bike legally is 16 or over
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

1. Most bikes aren’t meant to be brimmed...read the manual.
2. I can barely see into the tank with my helmet on so it’s easier to take it off anyway. It is also polite...unless it’s peeing down.
3. Do you just keep the pump flat out until it cuts off :shock:
4. I watched in horror as a guy filled up his CBR600 sitting on it. The whole bike and all of him were covered in petrol as it blasted out of the tank. Luckily it didn’t catch fire but very very scary. I guess his mates had to hose him and the bike down. You can’t control the trigger properly when sat on the bike.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

I’ve fuelled up more times than I remember sat on the bike. I can’t now as the tank on the 800GS is at the back. It’s a bugger to fill with the pump at full tilt too. Slowly slowly.

On my XRV750’s and 1150 GSA I never had any spillage issues. Maybe because I’m tall and have both feet planted and seeing into the tank was also not a problem.
I do like to brim it when I’m on a long trip.

As for helmet on or off...I used to get wound up by it.....now I pay at pump at keep it on or take it off if going in to pay.

I understand from a security point of view, drive offs etc.
I also understand some faces are covered for religious reasons. I still can’t help but to struggle with one rule for one, one for another though.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Unfortunately, some religions think that their faith trumps British law. The authorities are also at fault by not upholding British law regardless of religion. I recently watched a documentary about France and the head of the Police said "in France, you are either French or you are not French. If you live in France you do things our way, the French way".
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Mike54 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:14 am Catcitrus - the age for petrol purchase is 16, and you cant ride a bike under the age of 16? so by definition, anyone on a bike legally is 16 or over
I know--and thats the point--if its truly their motive there is usually little doubt--and if there is then ask--as I said I bet the real occasions when they feel they ought to withhold fuelling are very rare. I'll see what they have to say now that they have at least replied.
I think its worth pursuing as if we let it lie they will assume that they have every right to make such rules--and as has been said, the French have abandoned any attended pumps and its card only--I did ask the Co-op if this was their intention, and also said that I'm fine with a credit card pump. Really it only takes a bit of common sense on the part of the attendant. We roll over too easily in this country--but bikers generally not so as we have seen--you are of a higher social class in a 400 quid tin box rather than riding a 17 k bike!
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

My son used to wheel his mini-moto to the petrol station, fill up, pay and off to the local fields or wherever. We never gave a second thought to his age (he'd be about 14 or 15). Perhaps it's more down to the jobsworths behind the counter than company policy.

Return to “THE PUB”