Asked not to put a bike in a car space at work

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
dave h

Re: Asked not to put a bike in a car space at work

Post by dave h »

the good thing about bikes is you don't need a car parking size space,
park on the pavement,grass or wherever,
if you park on the grass you can then fill in the bentley on departure.

dave.
v8mark

Post by v8mark »

simple one this , get up get ready for work but you know the out come for you today , possible new job , so park the bike wait , if confronted BANG , Instant gratification but possible prosecution as one door shuts another opens , it might have bars in it but hey ho :D
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Riding back from Corsica a few years back, I stopped off in Grasse to buy the wife some of her favourite perfume direct from the manufacturer. I rode into an empty car park bang on opening time and parked in the space closest to the enterance. No sooner had I removed my helmet I was approached by M. HiViz who pointed out the Motorcycle parking bay on the other side of the parking lot and furthest from the door. Rules is rules I thought, and duely complied. I must have wasted over two minutes and walked an additional and unnecessary 50 yards. “Such is life” I said to myself, but in French. From now on, I’ll just go to House of Frazer in Cheltenham, where I can park outside the front door. A bit like helmets and gas stations I guess. I wonder if that’s one of those EU laws we’ll soon be able to change?
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Common sense may have prevailed. I've had a word with one of the directors who's less of a twat than the MD but still a twat and asked him to explain the situation.
Fair enough parking is at a premium and folk do get upset about a bike taking up[ a car space. I've asked about the concrete plinth in front of the office and he's basically agreed that this is the best place for a bike, so park there.

I've asked him to smooth it over with the MD because it was he who moaned last time I put mine there. I've said that a bit of give and take from us all and a with a bit more common sense a sensible solution can be found.

I'll see what happens next time I use my bike..
Thing is it's only 8 miles and not normally worth the hassle. I usually only ride to work on Friday when I go to see my mother after work. I finish at 11 on Friday so I can make a ride of it.
Last edited by vRSG60 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Sounds like you need to think about joining a trade union and getting others to do so too.

Granted it is the employer's prerogative as to who they let use which facilities but without discrimination and everybody should be treated with respect without the bullying tactics clearly being displayed by the individual manager.

Good to hear that some positive progress has been made though.

TTFN

Hugh.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

I had a similar situation many years ago. The Operations manager didn't want want me parking the bike on their newly tarmacked carpark, the reason given was that all bikes dripped oil and he didn't want oil in the carpark.

Funny how when he left work one night there was a huge puddle of oil under his car.
Wonder how that got there 😁🤔🤔🤔
Took its time but revenge was very sweet especially a couple days later when I caught up with him at coffee machine. Poor soul even bought me a cuppa as a apology. Unless he is now on this forum he still none the wiser.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Sounds like the MD is a bit off with his thinking...after all, if you parked your car in the same space as where you parked your bike then he wouldn't have a problem...it's not like a random person has parked in one of his spots...however, "he who pays the piper calls the tune"... :(
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
simonw

Post by simonw »

The thing for me in these situations is that people often react emotionally, which is completely understandable but often doesn't get them what they want. If you take a step back and ask yourself what do you want as an outcome, that will help shape whatever action you choose to take. The things you need to do to "get even" are different to the things you need to do to "park my bike without hassle". If you focus on the outcome YOU want (be selfish) you're more likely to do the appropriate things, and actually get what you want.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

My days of working as an employee are (I hope) over for ever, but the main sources of conflict that I can recall were car parking and company cars.

Both made grown men and women behave in a manner that would disgrace a primary school.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Sound like a nice chap.

I used to have a basement parking space at a previous employers, rented off the landlord. When I drove in by car, never any hassle, but when I used the bike over the summer there would always be someone who would steal the space.

I would park the bike directly in front of the car, engage 1st and put a chain lock on. I would leave a note saying my parking space had been blocked so I had parked as close as I could get, along with my office number.

I would then work really late to hopefully catch the thief. I would usually get a call with some lame excuse about running late for a meeting , but once went down around 7pm to find an irate woman sitting in her car. When she saw me she went nuts claiming I had no right to block her in, when I said she had no right to park there, she said it was a car park not a bike park.

I replied that I had been nice about it so far, even leaving a contact number and as it was MY parking space not the companies, I would park what I liked in it, when I liked. I then told her that if she parked there again I would have her car towed away and crushed. Never saw her again, but it didn't stop the others.

Bikes are seen a second class transport, even when cost more than a car.

Good that it is sorted. I would borrow the oldest luton van with a tail lift that I could find, then park it in the space and leave it there. Bring the bike in in the morning, onto the tail lift and into the van, then back out at night. Who could have a problem with that? :lol:

Return to “THE PUB”