helmet removal at filling staions

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
catcitrus

helmet removal at filling staions

Post by catcitrus »

I see the Co-op management are at it again--for the first time in 14 years that I've used my local filling station I was asked to remove my helmet --because its the laaaaw (Judge Dread!)--I declined because I said there isn't a law--and there was a bit of to-ing and fro-ing. I did some research and couldn't find anything other than its discriminatory etc when compared to a niqab, hoodies, and so on. I went back some time later and asked to see the piece of paper that was waived at me --nothing on it about the law, just "to avoid selling fuel to underage people"--part of their fuel vending licence I believe. No idea why in Rural Lincolnshire that they have suddenly resurrected their stance. We always have a choice I suppose--either to comply or to buy elsewhere, and there are arguments on the H and S side that say its actually safer to keep your helmet on.
tefflon

Re: helmet removal at filling staions

Post by tefflon »

Hi mate
Thesis pops up regularly on hear but us bikers never do anything about it . Was asked the remove my helmet at a Sainsbury’s filling station about 2years ago I was then asked by the attendant to get off the bike as it’s dangerous as the bike my explod .
The attendant said it’s compony policy that you have to take your helmet off in case I ride off with out paying for the fuel ⛽️
And as I’m filling up the bike a car pulls up at the side of me with two lady’s wearing full head dress aka the burka the passenger got out and started to fill up there car with fuel ⛽️ and at no time did the petrol station attendant ask the lady filling up the car to remove there burka . I’m pritty sure if they drive off with out paying they would have stolen a dam site more fuel than I can fit into my bike..

I think if we find a garage that makes us remove our helmet then we should block every pump and forcort and see what they do about that

Ta Steve
Jack the Builder

Post by Jack the Builder »

ah the old H&S chestnut eh! Requiring motorcyclists to remove their helmets at filling stations is not a health and safety issue.

Case 319 from the Health & Safety Executives myth busters page
Requiring motorcyclists and passengers to dismount and place the motorcycle on its stand during refuelling is a sensible measure which is stated in the Energy Institute’s guidance on petrol station refuelling. It enables better control of the refilling operation, reduces the risk of spilling fuel on clothes, high temperature parts of the motorcycle itself and on the forecourt. A clearer explanation by the supermarket of the logic behind both of these requirements would have been helpful.

Or they should make it clear they think you're a thief and want your mug shot before you ride off. :D

the worlds gone mad :mrgreen:
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I can't really see a problem with it, since I took early retirement & now work p/t in retail I can sort of see where they're coming from to be honest, I'm usually glad to get the helmet off for a few minutes when I fill up, Unless you're on the last litre of fuel take your business elsewhere maybe?
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

I can see both sides of the helmet argument, but why on earth anyone would want to sit on the bike while refuelling is beyond me.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

And exactly how many bikes have burst into flames in the past? Not many I guess but if anyone can prove me wrong? I sit on my bike as the xt660z leans over a long way and I like to fill to the brim as it gives me another day use. Always try and use a pay at pump so I don't take helmet off. I'd just go somewhere else if they insisted.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

My reason for not doing is that it's easy for the fuel to overflow when the nozzle isn't all the way in to try to get a bit more fuel in. I wouldn't want fuel all over my trousers.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
devonuk

Post by devonuk »

I had the last laugh a few weeks ago! On a cold day I refuelled my bike, walked into the shop to pay and was greeted with the "you must remove your helmet" routine. Being a compliant sort I did so whilst revealing I was wearing a balaclava beneath the helmet :) Not a word about removing the balaclava was uttered ;) Happy days....
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

I like to keep my helmet on and visor down when filling up. Your eyes are very valuable.
Ref: The Long Way Round, Ewan nearly had to complete the trip using nothing more than `the force`.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Maybe the attendant had been watching too many episodes of "The Sweeney" :lol: . A 1970's villain's favourite item of clothing when doing a 'job' was the motorbike helmet :lol: .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone

Return to “THE PUB”