Portugal, timing and route? ACT?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
herman

Re: Portugal, timing and route? ACT?

Post by herman »

Well Ian and Nick from Touratech did it from here in about eight days I believe but knowing them they did the off road bits in a day or so.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

dibbs wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:56 am Well my recent research (back of a fag packet figures/distances, which is how i roll lol...) suggests that from Santander to Braganca (start of the ACT route) is about 300miles, (1 day) then ACT recommends 5 days to get to Tavira bottom of Portugal (roughly 150 miles per day! which seems fairly easy as 50% of the route seems to be on roads) Then motorway back to Santander is about 600 odd miles, (2 days) so i reckon with ferries to and from the port from Blighty, (2 days) then 10 days for that type of trip is dooable!

Can anyone who has done this trip let us know if this is feasable please??? or am i way to ambitious lol....... (previous trips suggest that i might be hehehehe...always bite off more than i can chew!!! :lol: )
That is a very similar calc and result that I arrived at!

From speaking with others who have done this trip, the First point I got was don't camp and secondly, allow a bit more time, especially if on smaller bikes. The ACT seems achievable, in 5 days, but the run back will be a toughie, especially if as i was originally considering, the ferry home was from N France, probably Caen...!!!

The run back through France will probably be looked at again!!! Time is always the killer! :x :shock:
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

herman wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:10 pm Well Ian and Nick from Touratech did it from here in about eight days I believe but knowing them they did the off road bits in a day or so.
Rally Raid speeds huh...? :D
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Tramp wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:22 pm Braganca to santander is just 6 hours... Mostly motorway then scenic roads... But weather dependent and how long it takes to get off ferry..
Bloody motorways.... :o

As I recall, the ferry kicks out around 1pm... I've been advised that I shouldn't count on making Braganca in one hit if running late off the ferry...
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Great way to reckon a route eh Steve!!!!! I think the Brittany Ferry kicks off at about 5.30pm so we will aim to ride about 200miles then stop for the night, then next morning ride the extra miles to Braganca and try to complete Day 1 route in one go! and also split the ride back to the port into two days, we'll be on Africa Twins so at least have some comfort for the slab back..
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Why not ride to one of the cheap and great refuges in the picos, 2 hrs max then have a great ride over the mkuntains in morning to Riano, lunch then arrive Bracanca in time for a brazilian steak across from ibiz :lol:...

Return to “TRAVEL”