Motorcycle instructor

Bikers and riding
Mikekitts81

Re: Motorcycle instructor

Post by Mikekitts81 »

Tonibe63 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:07 pm Isn't that what Minkyhead used to do in some capacity?
Yes minkyhead trained me and help put my through my test years back now did debate on p.m him and asking him but i wanted a wider range of answer if we had others on here as what suits one doesnt always suit all so wanted different answers aswell if you understand me ..
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

Tonibe63 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:09 am I'm often aware that when your hobby becomes your living, the joy of the hobby is lost.
With your PSV licence it would be easier to move on to an LGV licence and have the broader range of skills and flexibility to work for yourself to suit yourself ie. sit in a nice warm cab with the radio on whilst getting paid to sit in traffic.
But as a psv driver i make more money an hour driving coaches than i ever would driving a wagon unless it is a specailised heavy loader or chemicals ... most lgv jobs i see are ranging from 8.50 to 9.50 an hour unless i go c+e which then puts me on around 10-13.50 ph which makes it same as what iam on doing psv work ... also wagon drivers are restrcited like psv work to 90 hrs every 2 weeks so that means on 10ph i could only be making 1800 a month for working every hour possible which most operators wouldnt allow as they like to keep you under hours so theres no chance youll end up having to be put up agaisnt the traffic commisioner.... so technically by becoming a lgv driver i would be working more hours for less or the same.... i dont think my hobby could be lost through working on a motorcycle as i love getting off road beecause i spend so much time on it so the only way for me would be lossing a intrest in motorcycles cause id be on them to much but dont ever think that could happen either as a child i was always on them teens on the feilds like most and then as adult and to today i have never and dont ever feel i will ever get bored off them or lose the joy in motorcycles. I could understand i would get sick of being on the road with a motorcycle spending so much time doing it for a job but iam like that now only road riding i do is getting between lanes and try trailing or vanin everywhere else if possibly and its not close.
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Considered this myself a few years back but decided that if the bike became my “office” it would drain away some of the joy of motorcycling for me.
On the other hand, if you really enjoy it, would it even seem like work?
Completely unhelpful, sorry.
gspod

Post by gspod »

Mate of mine was an instructor - taught advanced level as well as normal test. He worked for a large school that had a great set up. There were only 2 full time instructors as the pay was so bad, all the others were firemen, coppers etc...
He looked into starting his own school but there’s a high percentage fail rate in the first 3 years leaving heavy debts. I guess it’s a bit like starting up a motorcycle touring company - feels inviting but.............
He retrained in the end a rides for pleasure now.

Would it be possible for you to do it part time- earn your money from coach driving and enjoyment from teaching. Your pay may go down a bit but your life work balance may improve greatly.
AdventureDisco

Post by AdventureDisco »

I was an instructor for around 13 years, started with what was CSM. They trained me up and got me prepared for the relevant tests. I have worked for a few different firms, generally you work yourself silly in the summer and then get cast aside in the winter.
It's best if you can get properly employed as most companies like you to be self employed which gives them a tax dodge.
Generally you'll be doing well to earn £100 a day, it's usually a lot less.
Setting up on your own is an option as long as you can fine and suitable CBT site.
I certainly enjoyed the teaching element but it's a full on days work.
Do it as a hobby or for pocket money, less stressful.
Hope this helps.
Dave

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”