Honda CRF250 Rally – best mods / upgrades

The Things We Ride
scoobydidler

Re: Honda CRF250 Rally – best mods / upgrades

Post by scoobydidler »

rbailey wrote:
scoobydidler wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:53 pm Bob and I both run an altrider hemisphere bag setup. I have mine set pretty far back as i like lots of room on the bike. I'm not prepared to compromise riding position just to get the bag in the best place. As a result mine sits quite high, resting on the exhaust shield and toolbox. I just have enough rear rack left to ram a roll bag in containing the tent.

Bob manages to get his kriega us10 mounted behind his hemisphere so you can imagine how much further forward his setup is.
We have vastly different riding styles due to bobs-one-leg, he sits down whereas my knackered knee means i stand up wherever possible. Both setups work great, we've both done bigish trips in 2018 without complaint so anywhere in between is possible.
Here's mineImage

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
@scoobydidler thanks for that matey, thats a really useful reply, and the pic brings it to life.

So, it looks like you have the hemispher saddle bags with a rolltop bag ontop of that (attached to the hemispher saddle bags), and then the smaller rolltop bag (with your tent) at the back. Is that correct?

Also... What luggage rack do you have under all that lot? Obviously it does a decent job, as what you show on the pic, is pretty much where i plan to be.

Finally, are those hand guards the barkbuster jet ones? They look pretty cool, and hand guards are also on my shopping list!

Thanks matey...

Roy
No problem Roy.
The handguards are polisport plaggy things, no metal brace so they're not as good as barkbusters but they do the job.

Not quite right on the luggage, the red roll bag (tent) sits behind the altrider, i hitch the altrider up and shove the roll bag fractionally under. I use two rok straps, one end fastened to the rack, tother end fastened to the altrider. That's it.

The rack is from Thailand, bikerzbits.com i think, exactly the same available on ebay. I modified the rear mounting stays, they were crap. I made some rudimentary stronger ones, easy.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

rbailey wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:01 pm

@scoobydidler thanks for that matey, thats a really useful reply, and the pic brings it to life.

So, it looks like you have the hemispher saddle bags with a rolltop bag ontop of that (attached to the hemispher saddle bags), and then the smaller rolltop bag (with your tent) at the back. Is that correct?

Also... What luggage rack do you have under all that lot? Obviously it does a decent job, as what you show on the pic, is pretty much where i plan to be.

Finally, are those hand guards the barkbuster jet ones? They look pretty cool, and hand guards are also on my shopping list!

Thanks matey...

Roy
Roy,

they are not saddle bags in the true sense of the word, it is a 'horseshoe' shaped bag, hence the name Hemisphere.

http://www.altrider.com/altrider-hemisp ... g/pid/1467
IMG_3663.jpeg
IMG_3663.jpeg (125.99 KiB) Viewed 5284 times
one-legged adventurer
rbailey

Post by rbailey »

boboneleg wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:53 pm
rbailey wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:01 pm

Thanks matey...

Roy
Roy,

they are not saddle bags in the true sense of the word, it is a 'horseshoe' shaped bag, hence the name Hemisphere.

http://www.altrider.com/altrider-hemisp ... g/pid/1467

IMG_3663.jpeg
Thanks Bob, I get it now (can see it better on that pick) - seems pretty similar to the Giant Loop stuff then... Certainly another option for me to consider then!

I am taking deposit in tomorrow on new one and expect to pick up new one next Saturday.

Priority 1 (for when I collect bike)... is the YSS shock and bark busters Jet hand guards - I am hoping the stock bars are good enough (some saying weak and bend), as dont want to put the bark busters on crap bars I guess)

Priority 2 (for first service) - rear rack (altrider or PMR - but they are expensive to ship to England, but like to rotopax compatibility). Soft Luggage (Giant loop or your altrider suggestion), and engine protection - either from these guys https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CRF-25 ... 749.l2649 or from https://www.kodamacomposites.co.uk/honda

Cheers,

Roy
herman

Post by herman »

The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

rbailey wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:22 am
OB1 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:31 am Mike and I have ordered engine/fairing protection from this guy:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CRF-25 ... 2749.l2649
@OB1, have you received the above guards and bash plate yet? Had a good look on the link above... Do you know if they are easy to fit / mount onto existing points and so forth? I assume you can still get at the essentials with it fitted (oil changes, filters etc.).

I am debating the one you linked (seems sturdy and similar to what I have had on other bikes), and also the protection from @Catcitrus, https://www.kodamacomposites.co.uk/product-page/test - but that one (whilst miles lighter I guess), would not protect the plastics?

Agreed deal with local dealer, and in to pay deposit Monday... Just gotta decide black or red now! :?

Roy

Hi Roy,

We haven't fitted them yet as we're waiting until the first service is done in a couple of weeks. They look okay, however, there are no instructions included so I'm hoping that the photos in the eBay listing are good enough! On the positive side, the full set of bars and sump guard weigh in at less than 6 kilos and that weight will be low down, so we shouldn't feel it too much.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
rbailey

Post by rbailey »

OB1 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:04 am
rbailey wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:22 am
OB1 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:31 am Mike and I have ordered engine/fairing protection from this guy:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CRF-25 ... 2749.l2649
@OB1, have you received the above guards and bash plate yet? Had a good look on the link above... Do you know if they are easy to fit / mount onto existing points and so forth? I assume you can still get at the essentials with it fitted (oil changes, filters etc.).

I am debating the one you linked (seems sturdy and similar to what I have had on other bikes), and also the protection from @Catcitrus, https://www.kodamacomposites.co.uk/product-page/test - but that one (whilst miles lighter I guess), would not protect the plastics?

Agreed deal with local dealer, and in to pay deposit Monday... Just gotta decide black or red now! :?

Roy

Hi Roy,

We haven't fitted them yet as we're waiting until the first service is done in a couple of weeks. They look okay, however, there are no instructions included so I'm hoping that the photos in the eBay listing are good enough! On the positive side, the full set of bars and sump guard weigh in at less than 6 kilos and that weight will be low down, so we shouldn't feel it too much.
Thanks OB1,

Good to know they are not too heavy!

When you get them fitted, would you be able to post an update? Interested to see how well / easy they fit (into existing sturdy mounts etc.) or whether any mods are needed. and if you think they would do the job if you come off.

This guys seems to have the same ones https://youtu.be/MvOrLa2VoEQ, and has fitted them. If you do have fitting issues (as no instructions!) then may be worth giving him a shout... You never know.

Finally, have you guys sorted out rear luggage racks yet and luggage gear? Seems you boys are a few weeks ahead of me in the planning, so would be great to hear what you looked at and picked.

I put the money down on mine today, and have ordered the YSS rear shock (firefox racing) to be fitted for when I pick it up (minkyhead and others on various forums have recommended).

Right, off to do some more googling on replacement handlebars and handguards....

Thanks again....

Roy
OB1

Post by OB1 »

rbailey wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:25 pmThanks OB1,

Good to know they are not too heavy!

When you get them fitted, would you be able to post an update? Interested to see how well / easy they fit (into existing sturdy mounts etc.) or whether any mods are needed. and if you think they would do the job if you come off.

This guys seems to have the same ones https://youtu.be/MvOrLa2VoEQ, and has fitted them. If you do have fitting issues (as no instructions!) then may be worth giving him a shout... You never know.

Finally, have you guys sorted out rear luggage racks yet and luggage gear? Seems you boys are a few weeks ahead of me in the planning, so would be great to hear what you looked at and picked.

I put the money down on mine today, and have ordered the YSS rear shock (firefox racing) to be fitted for when I pick it up (minkyhead and others on various forums have recommended).

Right, off to do some more googling on replacement handlebars and handguards....

Thanks again....

Roy

No worries: I'll keep you informed as things progress.

I've ordered some Renthal bars. The Rally isn't listed on the Renthal website so, after measuring them on the bike, I decided that the CRF250 R standard bars were close enough to the Rally that I'd take a punt on them. If they turn out to be too low, I'll just add risers.

As for luggage, Mike and I are still going back and forth over what we want or need. There’s a company in the USA called Tusk who make frames with an integrated rack which look good. They work with soft and hard luggage that they also supply. Mike had an email exchange with the company because there is a note on the eBay listing stating that they won’t fit EU models... we were confused as we didn’t think there would be that much difference between the two. It turns out that someone bought some, decided that they didn’t fit and wanted a refund. After a lot of digging and chatting with other owners on Facebook and ADVRider, it seems that the only difference that could affect fitment is the exhaust. We think we might just pull the trigger on them and, of there is an issue, we’ll make them fit.

One of the issues is that there aren’t that many luggage systems out there for the Rally or the L that has a frame that is well braced. The Tusk system does and that’s why we’re pursuing it so hard. We’ll let you know how it turns out.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
rbailey

Post by rbailey »

Hi all,

ADVICE NEEDED: Bars and risers
==========================

CRF250 Rally (in black) ordered and picking up 1st March :D . The dealer already has a whole bunch of bits to add for me, but I do have one last problem I am sure the community can advise me on.

When I had the test ride on the Rally, I found that the stock bars seemed a little too low, and the bars seemed a little too close to me. I would like them raised a little, and moved forward towards the headlight. I have also seen on many forums that the stock bars are weak, and dont survive falls too well.

So, long story short, I want to get some 28mm fat bars (either Pro Taper contour or Renthal Fat Bar) to replace the stock ones, but also have them slightly raised and forward of the stock position. But! and its a big but... I dont want to end up with a setup that means I have to order new longer cables and get into a whole world of pain because they wont fit (cables not long enough, bars foul on the windshield at full lock etc.).

With that in mind, does anyone have any good options they have on their Rally which they know fits without cable length or fouling issues? Specific recommendation of the 22mm to 28mm adapters (risers) used, and the bend of bar would be really useful. As always with this stuff, there are a bewildering array of options out there... Even with the pro taper contour bars for example, there are almost a dozen bend options.

Some things I have looked at, but I am not sure if they would meet my needs (no messing with cables etc.)
Rox Risers (these pivot to allow you move the bar foreward and backward as much or little as you need): https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/pro ... -1r-p2sek/
Offset fixed risers (bolt on like normal risers, but they are slightly offset, so you can either fit them to offset the bar toward you or away) e.g. https://www.twistedthrottle.com/rox-blo ... 5in-offset

I found some info on other forums for these products (especially the rox), but it was all about 2016 model CRF250Ls and I am not sure if that knowledge is directly transferable to CRF250 Rally (different cable lengths etc).

As for bars...
Looking at these Pro Taper: https://www.protaper.com/product/32/con ... mcid/14144
or these renthal: https://www.renthal.com/shop/mx-product ... ars/fatbar

So, I am after recommendations of combinations of adapters and bars that are known to work well with the stock rally cable setup and screen - or known NOT to work (e.g. Rox 2" adapters with pro taper CR Mid works fine). Any links to specific products appreciated.

Thanks people.... If I can get this bit sorted, I might actually get some sleep at night! :lol:

Roy
Last edited by rbailey on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

theres a few of us using the cheap rox copies ...ive had a few drops here and there and they have been ok ..be aware that you want to get the ones if you go that way that are stated as t6061 alloy and not just alloy ...

either way 2inch rox types will fit ..you need to cant the bars forward and cant the levers down ..realease the insrument leccy leads and release the throttle cables from the top or bottom guides .. cant remember

cum uppence is thew will fit ..you just have to fiddle for a while ...cables handguards so they dont hit screen o sat nav but whichever brand you choose they go on ok after a fiddlestorm session ..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PCS-Univers ... rk:34:pf:0

Imageaaaaa by minkyhead56, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0042 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

Imagebb by minkyhead56, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1129 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
rbailey

Post by rbailey »

minkyhead wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:17 am theres a few of us using the cheap rox copies ...ive had a few drops here and there and they have been ok ..be aware that you want to get the ones if you go that way that are stated as t6061 alloy and not just alloy ...

either way 2inch rox types will fit ..you need to cant the bars forward and cant the levers down ..realease the insrument leccy leads and release the throttle cables from the top or bottom guides .. cant remember

cum uppence is thew will fit ..you just have to fiddle for a while ...cables handguards so they dont hit screen o sat nav but whichever brand you choose they go on ok after a fiddlestorm session ..

Minkyhead, you are a life saver. Only just mentioned you in a mail I sent to Catcitrus re the bashplates!

Do you know which bend of bars you went with? I can then lookup the dimensions of the ones you have, and make sure I get something similar (we know yours fit with stock cables, albeit a bit fiddly - so want to stay on safe ground with the bars). So if you can let me know they bar you went with that would be ace...

As for the mounts link you said, they look ace, and way cheaper than rox! Is that the ones you have in the pics above (in silver), or just something similar?

Thanks again matey.

Roy

Return to “BIKES”