EDC Morocco, Africa, Sept 2019. Open invite for a free On/Off road & desert guided tour.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
WIBO

Re: EDC Morocco, Africa, 2019. Open invite for FREE On/Off road & desert guided tour.

Post by WIBO »

bennewham wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:07 am
WIBO wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:19 am Hi

If you can cruise for a day and a half on an autoroute at one sitting or the odd full day on an A road and average a speed of 110-115kph etc ( on your saddle ) then you can slot in just nicely. If not then another model of a moto would be required.

It's always that compromise for your moto having the legs to cover distance and once off road all is well thereafter. The trails are gnarly here and there but free-flowing the majority of the time.

Rob on his DR just brings a lower front sprocket in his kit and changes that out once any long road work is finished with and if it is needed. Nice option to have and tiny to carry with you.

Any other questions by all means just ask.

All the best

:D
Thanks for the detailed reply, in theory it should be ok, but I'll have to think about. All well and good me taking it a bit easier or having a break but there is everyone else to think about of course. Will have a think.
Once in Maroc it’s normal road riding from and to any trails. You could do a bit of testing just to see your autoroute average speeds and how your saddle feels ?

:)
Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Re: EDC Morocco, Africa, 2019. Open invite for FREE On/Off road & desert guided tour.

Post by WIBO »

qwerty wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:08 pm Yeah all good with me Keith, Hope you're good too Bud. Just been busy (doing what I don't know..) Saw Al and a few of the other ABC boys for a Herefordshire/wales muddy ride out at the weekend.
I did mean to pop up a brief ride report of my maroc run but never got round to it, but just to say its really worth getting a maroc sim mine was 59 dirham for 4 gigs, I had it for 10 days great for checking maps, weather, whats app etc

Also I did Marrakech to the tangier med then crossed stayed at a good hotel just outside port Algeciras, it allowed for a easy ride to Caceres, I had the afternoon for a good look around. I'll try find hotel

Lastly Happy Birthday Fella 🎂 Its around now isn't it ?

Rog
Good update young man!!!

Yes ... birthday end of January ... 55yr old doddering, thraan old fool !!! Can’t believe I’ve been retired for 16 yrs already !!!

Let me know if you want to go to Maroc etc eh ?

All the best

Will It Buff Out?
bennewham

Post by bennewham »

WIBO wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:26 pm

If you can cruise for a day and a half on an autoroute at one sitting or the odd full day on an A road and average a speed of 110-115kph etc ( on your saddle ) then you can slot in just nicely. If not then another model of a moto would be required.

It's always that compromise for your moto having the legs to cover distance and once off road all is well thereafter. The trails are gnarly here and there but free-flowing the majority of the time.

Rob on his DR just brings a lower front sprocket in his kit and changes that out once any long road work is finished with and if it is needed. Nice option to have and tiny to carry with you.

All the best

Thanks for the detailed reply, in theory it should be ok, but I'll have to think about. All well and good me taking it a bit easier or having a break but there is everyone else to think about of course. Will have a think.
Once in Maroc it’s normal road riding from and to any trails. You could do a bit of testing just to see your autoroute average speeds and how your saddle feels ?

I've done about an hour of sitting down riding on the old standard saddle which encouraged me to have a custom one made, seems to be better. 60mph or 70 is ok and I've also bought a new 15t sprocket to try out, but that does not fit in the standard chain guard! Will let the people who are certain sort out dates and then I'll see if I can commit. Thanks.
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

No problem at all.

I do recall I was able to ride with the smallest back sprocket I could find on my XR650. I could sit at 70-80 mph all day with that. I once rode 800kms over to Lyon .... cycle shorts did assist!!

You could test that idea out ? Once off road on fluid trails I don’t think you’d even need to lower the gearing.

I’ll see if I can dig pics out of my old moto... I was able to ride off road without any problems.

You sound like you want to go.....let’s see if we can get you there !! :)

All the best

Will It Buff Out?
prg4967

Post by prg4967 »

bennewham wrote:
WIBO wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:26 pm

All the best

I've done about an hour of sitting down riding on the old standard saddle which encouraged me to have a custom one made, seems to be better. 60mph or 70 is ok and I've also bought a new 15t sprocket to try out, but that does not fit in the standard chain guard! Will let the people who are certain sort out dates and then I'll see if I can commit. Thanks.
I went to Morocco last year (not with WIBO) on my EXC 500, 2000 miles in 10 days...I had 14/50, I bought a 15 but it wouldn’t fit, I’d consider 13/48 then that would give an option to change up to 14 if you had any long road sections, standard six days seat, I would upgrade to a Seat Concepts or similar if I was doing it again, oil changed halfway round, only takes a few mins..and spare air filter..fuel sock in the tank ain’t a bad idea...luggage wise it was Giant Loop Coyote.... just do it..Morocco is a great place, I’ll be going back for sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BobH

Post by BobH »

Cheers Keith, Will be pleased to join you again.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Hello

Anyone considering (or having done so) shipping their bike from the UK to Spain ?

The idea would save 2 to 3 days plus quite a few miles of potentially boring riding

If I had the time I would take a month or two to get there, but sadly ..... my bank manager has other plans for me

Regards
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
Agg(Skinny)

Post by Agg(Skinny) »

Yes. Ferry all booked for me Agg(skinny) YamTen and Mikektm. Looking forward to it. YamTen will forward you the crossing times. The countdown begins :D
YamTen

Post by YamTen »

Here's are bookings details. Hope this works for you guys!

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Great stuff !!

I’ll edit the page one invite ... I can work a route out now ....monitor periodically ...

I’ll work out routes for those with off road experience on the bike they’ll bring, to include a few tedious rocky trails.

Last edited by WIBO on Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?

Return to “TRAVEL”