EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daveuprite

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by daveuprite »

catcitrus wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:03 pm Oh, and cows fart!
Cow farts, as I'm sure you know, are a related but different issue. Methane is not about particulates - it's a particularly harmful greenhouse gas. CH4 has approximately 23 times CO2 equivalence as a greenhouse gas, although it is shorter lived in the atmosphere. This is why waste managers have been trying so hard to move away from landfill, towards in-vessel composting for biodegradable waste for example. Cattle farming is especially wasteful and inefficient. Land that could/should give much greater calorific food yields when used for arable is given over to livestock, which then also emit large quantities of methane.

God, it feels like I'm back doing my old job at DEFRA. Snore....
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I wonder if the German popular press kick off when a German company gets EU grants to do things in the UK

https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/sie ... am-145319/
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

See the UK government has just annonced there will be no haulage hold ups at ports.....so we just gave the French how many millions for ferrys we dont and didnt need :lol: :o ...

The farce continues and just who pays ....us poor suckers :twisted:
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:30 pm I wonder if the German popular press kick off when a German company gets EU grants to do things in the UK

https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/sie ... am-145319/

Remember when we were looking for new railroad rolling stock and the contract went to a European (German, I think) firm? That kind of thing doesn't happen in France. It's our government (of both colours) that is the problem with regard to our standing in the World, not Europe.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Tramp wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:38 pm See the UK government has just annonced there will be no haulage hold ups at ports.....so we just gave the French how many millions for ferrys we dont and didnt need :lol: :o ...

The farce continues and just who pays ....us poor suckers :twisted:
Just remember who to blame for that, Russ. Incompetent tory government and delusional brexiteers. Right now it's a bonanza for charlatans, fraudsters, lawyers and fly-by-nights. That's what instability brings.

Actually I think the main haulage problems will probably be the other way round. After brexit, EU ports will need to check goods transported into the EU from a third country (the UK) for regulatory divergence and the payment of any tariffs. As time passes, UK goods will not always meet the same standards as the EU equivalent and this would need to be monitored. So I imagine Calais and other channel ports will become the bottle-neck. Hold-ups in Calais mean hold-ups in Dover etc etc.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Dave it's done electronically...disclosure of goods in shipment and a few are stopped to make sure they comfurm...I regularly had my containers scanned in UK, must of been a dodgy looking bloke :lol: ...the vast majority of freight is chilled and frozen food stuffs...high valve goods are sent by sea in containers because they dong want immigrants shutting on there products :lol:
scutty

Post by scutty »

Tramp wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:06 pm Dave it's done electronically...disclosure of goods in shipment and a few are stopped to make sure they comfurm...I regularly had my containers scanned in UK, must of been a dodgy looking bloke :lol: ...the vast majority of freight is chilled and frozen food stuffs...high valve goods are sent by sea in containers because they dong want immigrants shutting on there products :lol:
It's done electronically now but post-Brexit? Once we don't have the same standards agreed all cargo will need to be checked. At least the duty-free smugglers will be back in business :roll: :roll: :roll:

And regards the JLR plant, that was never coming to the UK, it was between Slovakia and Mexico which is why the EU didn't stop the government 'investment'.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

scutty wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:58 pm
It's done electronically now
Yes, exactly. As Scutty says, a simple electronic system works fine at the moment because UK goods going to the continent stay within the EU single market and customs union. The government / hard brexiteers seem determined that the UK leaves both of those, which will make UK goods entering France no different in status to Turkish goods entering Greece, or Russian goods entering Finland. As soon as there is any divergence whatsoever between the UK's produce and the same item as it is sold in the EU, a check will have to be made. Which takes time, which causes hold-ups, which costs money....

(By the way, does anyone want a fake passport?)
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

daveuprite wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:41 pm
(By the way, does anyone want a fake passport?)
I'm so pleased my friend/brother has joined...
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Here's an interesting read: https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2019/02/04/th ... scinating/

This thread about the casual dishonesty of politicians and the media’s failure to call them out is a fascinating read.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com

Return to “THE PUB”